Battery Life Expectancy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NZed, Jan 24, 2011.

1. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

I've been reading alot of forums lately and realize that many people have replaced their batteries within 2-3 years. Is that necessary with MBPs?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Apple portable batteries are rated for 3 years or 1000 cycles, so yes.

3. wct097 macrumors 6502

Which is probably on par with the rest of the industry.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Batteries don't last forever. They die over time. How you treat them affects how long they last, but all batteries die in time.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

5. sydenham, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

sydenham macrumors regular

\

I think you will find that it surpasses most of the rest of the industry.

6. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

The computers with an internal, non-consumer removable battery is rated for 1000 cycles... keep in mind the following from Apple website...

Apple does not warrant the battery beyond Apple’s one-year Limited Warranty. The battery has a limited number of charge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced by an Apple Service Provider. Battery life and charge cycles vary by use and settings. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information.

The removable batteries are 300 cycles and the same warranty thought applies from above. As a former Genius, Apple was really nice about just replacing batteries to make people happy, and that certainly worked... saves a customer $129. If it was way over 300/1000 and over a year it might not get replaced... BUT if you had bought AppleCare, and it was still under that warranty, then they may still help you out. Apple has been really pushing the envelope on being real nice and easy on repairing things. Also giving a 1 time fix on say a liquid spill or such... The second time you wont be getting the same treatment.

7. wct097 macrumors 6502

In warranty, or average life? I'm not sure either really applies. I've owned Apple, Gateway, and Dell laptops, and all seemed to have about the same lifespan. My employer fields a number of notebooks, and it's odd for any to need battery replacement (with daily use) in under 2.5-3 years.

8. sydenham macrumors regular

Apple claims 80% of original capacity after 1000 charges. Dell and Gateway do not. A quick visit to the Dell site showed their business computers using Lithium Ion, not Lithium Polymer. Not the same. So again the batteries in the newer macbooks are not "on par" with most other makers, but surpass them.

9. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

Even the older, removable ones have been working fabulously for me - my MB has almost 600 cycles and is still at 84% battery life. Coming from a history of Dells and Toshiba, this thing is basically magic. I can't wait to upgrade to one of the newer ones that are supposed to get double the life though! :cool:

10. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

The MBP batteries are really good you just have to make sure that you take good care of them. See the FAQ above....
    The battery should last 3 years easily.