Battery life falling off a cliff

Pagemakers

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
The battery life on my 4S has never been brilliant but in the last week or so it loses the last 20% of charge in about 20 minutes.

I'm running 5.1.1 and I have closed ALL background applications.

I am not doing anything different with my phone then I did before.

Erase and restore has not fixed the issue.

Could this behaviour point to a failing battery?

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I had the problem but mine started after Jailbreaking and adding iBlacklist. I restored to a restore just before I used Absynthe and my battery life is back to normal.

Comment

Pagemakers

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Mine's not jailbroken and I haven't changed anything on it since last week. The last 20% seems to drop a % a minute!!

Comment

silroc

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Same issue here- suddenly, without warning, battery life drops from 100 to 20 in like 2 hours of non use!
Wtf

Comment

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
I had the problem but mine started after Jailbreaking and adding iBlacklist. I restored to a restore just before I used Absynthe and my battery life is back to normal.
iBlacklist doesn't cause any battery problems on my 4S

Comment

MNFL

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
the battery could have been exposed to excess heat and corrupted
try replacing it from some iphone repair shop

Comment

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
You could try to restore. If that doens't work, then I would have Apple look at it as it may be a hardware issue as the others mentioned.

Comment

fallingleaf

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2012
First check to see if your standby and usage time is equal, (when you have not used the phone for a while (ie.sleep mode) ). If both numbers are the same, the restore will do the trick I think and fix your battery issues. Happened to me a lot on the jailbreak which made me decide to go back to factory settings though because every time I restored it kept coming back .

If the numbers are not the same must be a hardware issue. I just rejailbroke my phone with absinthe2. Battery fine so far but I have not downloaded any tweaks. That is when my problem starts!

Comment

silroc

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Restored, but from a backup and same issue

This all started after I returned from a long business trip in Canada where I was roaming and had 3G off and cell data off.

It seems like it is constantly trying to use 3G data even though I am on wifi

Might have to try a full clean wipe as new- ugh

Comment

Mrarkon

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2012
Carat

Well, one way to fix the problem would be to install Carat off of the app store. It tracks apps that may be glitchy and hogging up your battery life. If that didn't fix your problem, then your battery is probably dying out on you.

Comment

scrappledog

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
I'm also having a lot of recent battery problems with my 32G 4S bought in December. Some of the battery drain I expect, like when I use maps, location or hogging games like (the amazing) Monsters Ate My Condo. But lately it seems, on standby, once below 50% to drop really fast.

How does one close "apps in the background?"

Comment

silroc

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Just want to share and possibly help

Wiped phone to factory stock

Battery back to normal

Thanks for all suggestions

Comment