battery life for used ipad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mattkilla420, Jun 17, 2012.

1. mattkilla420 macrumors member

I am hoping to get a used ipad 2 off craigslist soon and am wondering what (if any) loss of battery life is after a year or so of use. also, is there anything i should definitely look at while demoing the ipad before i buy? thanks.

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

It's tough to say what condition the battery is in or if the seller is hiding some known problem until after you bought it. That's why it better to buy a refurb from Apple. It comes with a new battery, new outer shell, and it's been inspected and repaired for any known problems. Apple refurbed iPad's look new when you get them.

Plus you get a 1 year warranty. :)

Oh and I'm typing this from my white refurbed iPad 2 !

3. -TYLER, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

-TYLER macrumors regular

Listen to rodster, I was looking at Craigslist but decided to play it safe and buy a refurb from apple. What if you buy a used one and it stops working in a week because of a problem it had and the guy knew about it?

4. mattkilla420 thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys, if i had the money i would def buy refurb and maybe i will if i decide to save up. the price difference is very big on cl compared to apple refurb. there are many postings of the ipad 2 for 200 and today i saw a couple 64gb ipad 2s for 250 (these were posts with non stock pics and phone numbers) the reason im buying an ipad is because my 8 year old powerbook can get slowww on the net even though i put in a new hdd a year ago.i think one reason is that all major web browsers do not support ppc for their new builds, and websites i use often do not work in the old builds of firefox and sefari. im using tenforfox but it can still get slow. and i can forget about watching any youtube/flash videos even at the lowest setting. (i get 15-20mbps so thats not the problem) i just need something to surf the web and play youtube, vimeo etc smoothly.

5. -TYLER macrumors regular

Had the same problem my 5 year old laptop was just getting ridiculously slow, and I couldn't even watch a YouTube video smoothly after letting it buffer.

You could always get lucky and get a lightly used iPad with no problems off Craigslist for cheap though.

6. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Ask the seller to download Battery Detective from Cydia and send you a screenshot of the battery cycle count.

If he's unwilling to jailbreak, then, make an arrangement with him about your doing this after purchase, do it and if it's above, say, 300-400, you return the iPad.

BTW, my iPad 2's cycle count is around 150 after a year's active, multiple-hours-a-day usage. That is, I don't think any iPad2's out there have more than 400-500 cycles. It would mean they've been used for 24 hours a day.

7. mattkilla420 thread starter macrumors member

thanks! that helps alot. some of the ones listed said they where jailbroken already. i went to apple today and damn i should not have looked at the ipad 3, that screen is sooo great and now want a new one lol

----------

exactly, even when its fully buffered it does what seems like 2-3 fps. ive had nothing but success on craigslist with other electronics and i hope it goes the same for the ipad. theres areas of san diego with a lot of wealthy people where i live that buy everything new even if they have something like an ipad 2 thats only a year old, then sell it for cheap. thats primarily where i look on craigslist when i buy something.

8. TLekhi1 macrumors newbie

:apple:just have a look on the internet their should be a lot of websites that have refurbished ipad 2's for sale