Battery life - good or bad.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TSE, Feb 24, 2011.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

So as a lot of people know, the battery life Apple claims is 3 hours less than before.

But this could be good or bad.

Is Apple using the MacBook Air method of claiming battery life - aka accurate unlike every other laptop manufacturer, and sometimes the claimed battery life is even worse than what the Air gets - or is the battery life actually worse on these new models?

I am interested in the $2199 MacBook Pro to last me through college, and the battery life is extremely, extremely important to me. But for that price, I can wait for a Sony Z series to come out which I think I am going to do.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I noticed that too.

But even if it is 5 full hours, is that not enough? :eek:

I remember when getting close to 3 only a couple of years ago was more than we could wish for.

3. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

The thing about this is, is that there are two scenarios that can go with the battery life:

1. Apple uses the MacBook Air method of battery life and the MacBook Pro actually does get 7+ Hours of battery life.

2. Apple continues with what every other laptop manufacturer uses to rate their battery life and it actually only gets 4-5 hours.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

5. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Are the new tests that good that you can probably expect at least 7 hours (or more)? Or is it more like you can expect closer to what they say but probably max 7 hours?

I mean I know I get around 7.5 hours on mine with my use. And I've seen people claim they get the 10 hours (or even more) on their 2010 13" MBP on this forum. Actually, usually I see people claiming more than what I'm getting honestly on the 13" (don't know how full of it they are but that seems to be the norm when people talk about what their 2010 is getting).

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Nice! So if the Wifi is off, 7+ is going to be the norm!

7. mark28 macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just wait untill benchmarks show up.

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

According to Apple then yes lol. We won't know for sure until the new ones are delivered, but im guessing we get 5 hours in "real life"

9. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I would've been perfectly contempt with a Core i7 Dual-Core processor if it meant 1-2 hours longer battery life and slightly cheaper to be honest.

It seems as though Apple doesn't have the perfect laptop for me... I have to compromise and go for either a computer that is too weak for all my needs since it doesn't have a graphics card or a computer that is too powerful and expensive for my needs.

I need to get the 6750HD since I want to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

This is definitely going to be a tough decision.