Battery life/health

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimijazz, May 23, 2008.

1. jimijazz macrumors member

I bought a MBP a year ago and the battery is down to 45% health. Considering that I use the computer pretty much daily (at least an hour a day, 2-3 on average), is this normal? I'm reading the reviews for the replacement battery on the Apple Store page and they're not encouraging.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

How many cycles do you have? You can find it in System Profiler. If you have less than 300 then you can go and get yourself a replacement.

And please use SEARCH; already a gazillion threads about this.

3. looking4anotebo macrumors 6502

I have a 9 month old MBP.

14 cycles and it's at 93%.

I am not happy that it's at 93% already, but I guess I will have to wait to see what happens. It dropped from 98% to 93% in like a week.

4. greekpaz22 macrumors regular

I had the same thing happen to me..but when you run down the battery all the way and then charge it back up, the health will go back up to 97/98%

5. SimD macrumors regular

Hmmm 7 month old one here with 135 cycles and 91% :O

6. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

I had a similar problem. I had a 10 month old MacBook Pro. The battery was down to 40% health (according to Coconut Battery) with 80 cycles. It would only last 30 minutes, often shutting down altogether at 50% or 60%. I did not have AppleCare.

I called Apple, and they said they don't replace batteries (they are "consumables"). Later in the month I bought Apple Care for the MacBook Pro (within the one year requirement). Then, I called Apple back, and low-and -behold they were now willing to replace the battery. They overnighted me a new battery for free and I just had to send back the old one in the box.

So, if you have AppleCare, and the battery has low health (like 50% or lower) after a year (with 100 or less cycles), then you can get a replacement. Low cycles and the computer turning off while still saying it has 50-60% power are sure signs you've got a defective battery.

With no AppleCare, good luck getting them to replace it.