Battery life is killing me.. 32GB 3GS.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duelingdragons, Jul 23, 2009.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

I was fully charged at 9am this morning when I got to work, and its now 4:00 and I'm < 20% already. I played a game for about 10-15 minutes, that's it...

I haven't used the iPod feature at all, and I have Wifi and Bluetooth turned off.

I don't get it. Brightness is just over 1/2... wtf is going on.
    This wasn't a problem until about last week.

I haven't taken ONE phone call in that timeframe. Plenty of texting though.

2. jason221 macrumors 6502

That's definitely not normal. Defective battery? Maybe try restoring your phone and see if that helps.

3. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

1) What game?

2) Are you using PUSH Email?

3) Have you power cycled the phone to ensure you don't have a rogue process running and draining the battery? (iPhone is bad about letting this happen.)

4) You may want to try uninstalling one application at a time and seeing if you see marked improvement to see if you have an app that is causing the issue.

4. Ctt713 macrumors member

There is already a thread over the battery issues. What's your usage/standby times? Mine seems to be a little low as well but it all depends on what your using. Heavy text messaging kills the battery pretty good especially if your on 3g because of the data.

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I had a weird drain issue once that I realized was being caused by my Google Maps app continuing to track me via GPS after I had closed the program. When I opened it up, the little crosshairs icon at the bottom was lit blue (as it is when you touch it to find your location)...I touched it a couple of times to clear it out, exited Maps, and battery life returned to normal.

Strange, but true.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ Sometimes I forget to hold the Home button down while in Maps to disable the Backgrounder App.....:eek::eek::eek:

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Weirdly, I'm not even jailbroken.

8. Friscochris macrumors member

Stats of mine at 20% today, usage: 6 Hours 4 min standby: 7 Hours 34 Min

Wifi on
    3G on
    Push On
    Fetch 15 min.
    Texted like 4 times, no talk time, IM'd a crap ton -hours worth, youtubed 10 min., emailed and read about 7 times, played with a new app 10 min., browsed about an hour, and have had the IPod on all day with the exception of when I was on youtube.

I really used it alot today and fell that the 6 Hour usage time was alot. I think I could of gone about another hour or so until dead, but decided to plug it in.

I also sit in an area where its searching for service all day..

Attached Files:

9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I would likely sacrifice a small fluffy bunny for usage times like those.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Here you go:

so_cute_rabbit-1.jpg

11. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

If your phone is constantly changing from E to 3G to nothing to whatever, then it will use the heck out of your battery.

But 6+ hours of non-iPod usage is AWESOME battery.

12. alent1234 macrumors 603

one time i set the iphone to push all of my exchange email. killed my battery in 2 hours. now it's set for a few folders.

if you get a lot of email like I do, then it will kill your battery. it's not apple's fault you are downloading over 1000 emails a day.

13. TLewis macrumors 65816

This.

Also, using a lot of IM is going to blow through a lot of battery, too. Any time you fire up one of the transmitters, it's going to eat battery. I don't think 6-7 hours is all that bad if you IM a boatload, especially with few bars.

14. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

I'll raise you guys one. 3G off, Airport off. 2 hours of iPod listening (podcasts and music). 2 calls (10 minutes total), and ZERO app use. No maps, no AIM, no Facebook, etc. It's 5:30pm, last full charge was 10am (and I even plugged it into my car charger for about 5 minutes). It's at 15% now.

Attached Files:

15. TLewis macrumors 65816

If you've been consistently getting 4-5 bars, that really doesn't seem right. I can sometimes get that if I turn everything on (3G, wifi, bluetooth, the works), and then spend much of the day in a place with poor signal.

16. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Either you have a rogue app running in the background or that phone needs to be returned.

No doubt in my mind.

17. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

The problem isn't just me, many of my friends with 3GS's have been having issues too. Yesterday my phone went down to 22% (again, with minimal use) in about 8 hours. As I was complaining to my friend online about it, it jumped back up to 80%. 3 minutes later, it shut down. Plugged the dead phone into the wall charger -- first battery reading (as it turned back on) showed it at 60%. 30 minutes later it was full.

Same right now -- I've charged the phone for only 20 minutes, and it's back up from 15% to 85%.

I brought it to a Genius at my local Apple Store but he kept giving me the runaround ("see, you have Push notifications on" -- but no app uses it, I disabled it for AIM. "Your brightness is high" -- it's at half.) He even stated that the % reading was inaccurate and doesn't update regularly -- what? That's why it jumps from 20% to 80%?

In the first two weeks of ownage, the 3GS's battery was more than sufficient. I'd listen to music all day and see it at 40% before I went to bed.

Nowadays I'm lucky to get to sundown without it dying on me.

Gonna try calling Apple Care to see if I can get better support there. Wish me luck~

18. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Well, the "Genius" is FOS and I would keep making appointments.

I took mine off the charger this AM.

I have 67% battery left with 1.5 hours of usage.

19. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

What kind of usage?

20. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

25 Minutes of Ipod, and the rest Texting or Data.

21. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Data drains the battery pretty fast. Apple only states 5 hours of battery life on 3G...

22. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Yup.

And I am not complaining about my battery. I am quite happy with it.

23. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

Actually what Apple says is:

Power and battery3

Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
    Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter
    Talk time:
    Up to 12 hours on 2G
    Up to 5 hours on 3G
    Standby time: Up to 300 hours

Internet use:
    Up to 5 hours on 3G
    Up to 9 hours on Wi-Fi
    Video playback: Up to 10 hours
    Audio playback: Up to 30 hours

I just exchanged my iPhone. A first I was getting most of a work day out of the battery but it was in the red by the time I got home. Not good. Then battery life got sporadic - loose 20% in 2 hours then 80% the next hour without running any apps, just checking email occasionally. Finally needed to charge though the day to stay alive. Even tried 3G off, WiFi off, Bluetooth off etc. No real difference.

Called iPhone support. Tech tried to say "well battery life is only 5 hours". I said yeah - 5 hours of talk time or data session not idle getting a handful of emails or text messages with no more than 5-10 minutes of actual use. If its 5 hours typical use its a POS and I'll be returning it.

He overnighted me a new iPhone which is better than the old one so far (75% after 8 hours, again in relatively light use but 3G and all wireless stuff on).