Racineur

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello, the time has come for me to shop an iPhone and a carrier. Unfortunately, money is thight. It's that time of the year. I wanted to buy a 6s Plus at Apple Canada but they're still expensive 739$ + 110$ tax so it's 849$. I found a used one on Kijiji. It's sold for 450$. Near mint condition. The Phone is 18 months old. But what about the battery life? Is an 18 months old battery near the end of its life? Does it have some juice in it? New iPhones in Canada are so expensive. I'm juggling with the idea of keeping my very small 2 years old 5s or sadly going for a 300-400$ Android something. Providers offer more affordable 2 years plans for Android Phones. BTW, on December 1st, all Canadian providers will sell unlocked phones and will unlock freely the one you're using now. Applies to my minuscule 5s. Apple.ca doesn't sell refurbished iPhones.:( Thanks for your hints.

eye.surgeon

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
California
You can get the battery changed in an hour for less than $100. The 6S IMO was the best phone apple ever made, I wish I still had mine instead of this X.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I guess it would depend on how many cycles on the battery it has gone through. I have had iPhones that were 18 months old and the battery was fine. Worse case scenario you could get the battery replaced as it is not too expensive. Getting a new battery for me has made an old phone almost like brand new.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Hello, the time has come for me to shop an iPhone and a carrier. Unfortunately, money is thight. It's that time of the year. I wanted to buy a 6s Plus at Apple Canada but they're still expensive 739$ + 110$ tax so it's 849$. I found a used one on Kijiji. It's sold for 450$. Near mint condition. The Phone is 18 months old. But what about the battery life? Is an 18 months old battery near the end of its life? Does it have some juice in it? New iPhones in Canada are so expensive. I'm juggling with the idea of keeping my very small 2 years old 5s or sadly going for a 300-400$ Android something. Providers offer more affordable 2 years plans for Android Phones. BTW, on December 1st, all Canadian providers will sell unlocked phones and will unlock freely the one you're using now. Applies to my minuscule 5s. Apple.ca doesn't sell refurbished iPhones.:( Thanks for your hints.

There's no way of knowing a battery just based off how old the iPhone is. It depends how much usage the battery has been subjected to on a daily basis, charging rate, etc. If you feel the iPhone is justified for the price point, then at most, you would be looking at replacement. If you purchase the iPhone, Apple can conduct a free battery test of the iPhone of the Termine if the battery is healthy or not.

My only advice, is to make sure it's An Apple OEM Battery if you replace it.

TooDarkPark

Suspended
Nov 23, 2017
But it and replace the battery.

I have had my 6S+ now for just about two years and it was time to replace the battery. I called a local shop who came directly to my house and replaced the battery for $59 and it took 15 minutes. This was the first iPhone that I have ever had to replace the battery. My 6S is also just as old as my 6S+ and the battery life is perfect on it.

When the guy took the replacement battery out of the box, I compared it to the original and it was identical so I am confident it was a real Apple battery.

Best decision I ever made as the 6S+ is still a very capable phone compared to todays phones.

xboxbml

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2015

I’ve had this particular 6s+ since July 5 2016. My original one got in a fight with a 30lb boat anchor on July 4 and lost.. I had Apple Care+ so went to Apple store and got a new one. It’s been a great phone. Battery is still fine. Charges well using iPad 2.1a charger. If I’m not on it constantly, I can get 2 days out of a charge. I’ve had 3GS, 5, work 5s, and this 6s+. Definitely worth it. If needed just go to Apple store and get battery replaced. I always go to Apple store if I can help it. Just make sure it hasn’t been opened previously by non Apple shop if you can. Apple usually won’t work on a phone if they discover it’s been opened by non Apple shop.

Racineur

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Thanks to you all for this great information. I'm still unnerved by the fact of buying a used iPhone. I've seen some that look in pristine condition but I keep wondering how they have been used. Have they taken a fall would it be on a rug? Is the seller telling the truth to all my questions? Didn't the first 6s had a battery problem from the start? I intend to keep my next iPhone for 2 years but I cannot afford a 8 which is the one I'd like to have. My 5s is in mint condition and it's going to rest in the drawer. Does it look fussy or silly to tend to buy new instead of used? Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
But it and replace the battery.

I have had my 6S+ now for just about two years and it was time to replace the battery. I called a local shop who came directly to my house and replaced the battery for $59 and it took 15 minutes. This was the first iPhone that I have ever had to replace the battery. My 6S is also just as old as my 6S+ and the battery life is perfect on it.

When the guy took the replacement battery out of the box, I compared it to the original and it was identical so I am confident it was a real Apple battery.

Best decision I ever made as the 6S+ is still a very capable phone compared to todays phones.
Was the shop was an authorized Apple service provider? Only Apple and service providers that are authorized to do warranty work or repairs for Apple can order real Apple parts...

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Was the shop was an authorized Apple service provider? Only Apple and service providers that are authorized to do warranty work or repairs for Apple can order real Apple parts...
I have no clue. Wasn't really worried about it since the phone is 2 years old. The battery is now running just as long as it did when it was new and just as long as my new 7+ is. I have no doubt it was an original battery and it's now been a whole week of using it.
[doublepost=1512399177][/doublepost]
Thanks to you all for this great information. I'm still unnerved by the fact of buying a used iPhone. I've seen some that look in pristine condition but I keep wondering how they have been used. Have they taken a fall would it be on a rug? Is the seller telling the truth to all my questions? Didn't the first 6s had a battery problem from the start? I intend to keep my next iPhone for 2 years but I cannot afford a 8 which is the one I'd like to have. My 5s is in mint condition and it's going to rest in the drawer. Does it look fussy or silly to tend to buy new instead of used? Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Only SOME of the 6S phones had battery problems. I had a 6S that I bought two years ago on December 23 and it never had the problem and checking on Apples site, it was not eligible for the battery replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.