battery life (life, not how long it lasts per charge)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by clevin, Oct 3, 2007.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

apple says
    but how do you count that 400 full charge and discharge cycles? I m sure many ppl charge the device before fully discharged.

So, can anybody give me a practical estimation of the battery's life?

2. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Have one that works on XP? :(

3. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

i have it on my mac, how does it work on my iTouch?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Counting the charge on such a device would require appropriate diagnostic software running on the device itself.

I'm not sure it's possible for a human to do so beyond the maximum initial battery life.

5. richardhunt macrumors regular

Allegedly a Full charge means 100% replenishment, so if you re-charge your ipod when only 25% remains, that only counts as a 3/4 cycle. In my general observation of Li Ion batteries on laptops this has not been the case. These batteries do not have a memory effect, but they do loose capacity over time. In most cases, the laptop batteries I've dealt with (mostly IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads and Sony Vaio) the batteries have held about 80% of their charge capacity after 1 year of use and then about 60% after 2 years. We replace batteries after 2 years of use. These are laptops that are used daily and most laptops on average show the charge cycle being in the mid 100's per year.

My recommendation is to get the apple care plan for the battery or if you bought it at Best Buy, get the 3 year plan for $60. I think it's very likely you will want your battery replaced by then.

6. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin