Battery Life Monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by markp99, Jul 16, 2012.

1. markp99 macrumors member

Mac newb here (RMBP, 16GB, 256GB, 2.3GHz)

I am reading the RMBP should have up to 7hr of battery life. I understand this could be possible with low brightness and lightweight duties, etc.

Reality for me ~feels significantly less, even with light duty browsing, email, etc., my gut tells me I am seeing more like 3 hours, but I have no facts to back that up. Brightness at 50%, chassis is barely warm when I am using the machine.

Are there any battery life apps out there that will clock up-time between full charges? And then, what might e the primary consumers - like a few Android battery apps i have seen. I do have iStat Pro running, but this does not provide such a feature.

Any suggestions, I am just curious. I may be way off on my estimate, but I started off fully charged last night around 6pm, poked around email & web a bit, in a few separate, short-ish sessions. Right now, on first look this morning, I am already back to 34%.

Hmm, expected better. But, again, I may just not be fully accounting for actual time.

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Well, leaving it on will drain the battery throughout the night. Granted, it will eventually sleep. Verify you energy settings in System Preferences and adjust accordingly.

Also, try Coconut battery
    http://www.coconut-flavour.com/

It's simple, but I don't think it gives you how many hours to drain battery. You may find it useful.

3. markp99 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I do have the coconut app. Also, no such feature.

I put the RMBP to sleep when I am finished (by closing the cover). I assume this is the correct approach to putting to sleep, vs click the options.

I do understand that even while sleeping hr Mac will consume a trickle of change, but not significant % points overnight, right??

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

You could always fully charge it and play around for a little bit and see what the battery life estimate says. Of course it's not 100% accurate, but definitely a reasonable estimate.

5. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

You should get around 5-6 hours of battery life on the dedicated graphics card. About 7 hours on automatic switching (in the systems prefs). And more than 8 hours if you use gfxcardstatus to force your rMBP to use integrated only.

6. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I would say it should lose no more than 5% overnight. Focus on keeping brightness down when in use.

7. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

If you run anything with flash such as youtube you can kiss all semblance of good battery life goodbye.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:
    Typical sleep drain is about 1% per hour of sleep.

9. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

BS. Standby time is approximately 30 days in sleep. This would translate to a battery drain of around 0.14% per hour or about 1.1% for an 8 hour sleep.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I didn't say 1% per hour of standby mode. I said 1% per hour of sleep, which is accurate.

11. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

Battery Logger in the Mac app store for 1.99$.

12. markp99 thread starter macrumors member

Nice, that comes very close!