Battery life MUCH better with "raise wrist" off?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by thelookingglass, Jul 4, 2015.

1. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

So I know this is sort of common sense, but my battery life is so much better if I turn off raise wrist. Obvious, I know, but I didn't expect the difference to be this significant. After 5 hours with raise wrist off, my battery life has barely budged. Not the case when I had raise wrist on. Not by a longshot. Seemed like the battery wouldn't even last me a day with raise wrist on.

Anyone else have this issue?

2. Gjwilly, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015

Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I wear mine from 5am to 4pm and I get two days of battery with wrist raise turned on.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I wear mine 7am to 1am or beyond, raise wrist on and full brightness and I've never seen less than 40% when putting back on the charger at the end of the night.

While I'm certain turning off 'raise wrist' would increase battery life, I'm not sure I see the point. I don't wear it while I sleep so it may as well be on the charger. And if for some reason I'm awake beyond 24 hrs, my watch always has enough reserve power to keep going.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I get 1.5 days of usage with 25% left with wrist raise on.

5. thelookingglass thread starter macrumors 68000

Alright, guess I'll have to keep a closer eye on it then. Maybe this is just my perception.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Just pick two typical days and do one with and one without. I thought about turning off the wrist raise after seeing my watch turn on so many times but I love the Siri function and at the end of my day I still have no less than 50% battery remaining.

Please come back and let us know if it makes a huge difference.

7. JXShine macrumors 6502

JXShine

turning it off defeats the purpose of the watch for me.
    I have it on, and at the end of the day, I still have 50%

8. Donstil-nl macrumors 6502

Donstil-nl

Is the watch with Raise wrist off not completely useless?

9. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Mine is off and always has been. Just finished working a 20 hour shift, watch has been off the charger for exactly 24 hours. When I just plugged it in it was at 29% and I'm OK with that. Seems like decent battery life and I was using it alot through the day.

10. thelookingglass thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, I'm convinced that wrist raise is causing my battery drain. Battery took a 35% hit overnight with wrist raise on. When I had wrist raise off for a few hours yesterday, battery barely budged in those few hours. Will try wrist raise off today.

Wrist raise is also annoying when having dinner with other people? Everytime you move your hands to illustrate a point, the watch face lights up.

11. teidon macrumors 6502

teidon

For the wrist raise to work the watch has to keep checking the accelerometer's state multiple times every single second. That will inevitably eat some (considerable amount of?) battery.

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

If you leave it completely turned off it will last even longer ;)

I don't see the point in having wrist raise turned off - it makes it impossible to use the watch at all without two hands and removes one of the most useful features (i.e. quick glance at a notification or the time). Personally, I've never had the watch go into reserve mode and I wear it at least 18 hours a day

13. Thepixelsedge macrumors regular

I can't figure out why some people seem to have battery issues. My watch battery has been phenomenal. I have wrist raise turned on, brightness at medium. I charge my watch for maybe an hour each day while working at my desk and I wear it all day and night and I never seem to dip below 50% through a full day/night of use. Right now I'm at 94% with 4hrs18mins of standby and 43 mins usage.

14. mjschabow macrumors 65816

This.

15. thelookingglass thread starter macrumors 68000

I'd say the 43 mins usage is the reason why you don't have any battery life issues! I use my watch at least 3x as much.

16. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

It's doing that anyway for the fitness stuff. How do you think it knows you've stood up?

17. thelookingglass thread starter macrumors 68000

So a quick update. I don't know if it's just because my usage has dropped off or what, but battery life is incredible. I ended up leaving wrist raise on. So far standby time of nearly 24 hrs and I still have 25% left. This is after a full day of checking notifications, talking on phone, looking at glances, etc. battery life is officially not an issue for me on this thing.

18. papbot macrumors 6502

One thing to bear in mind is that the 42s have considerably better battery life than the 38s. At least that's the impression I've gotten from reading through these threads and also what my wife and I have experienced. She has the 38 and I have the 42. Both are used in a similar manner. My battery life is significantly better than hers.

19. Kahalu'u Bob macrumors 6502a

Kahalu'u Bob

I've got a 38 and the battery life us fine. I turn the activate on wrist raise off at night, because it is annoying having the watch light up when I am trying to sleep. I turn it back on for the day. One point I don't see discussed very much is how fast the watch charges! I charge it at night while I shower, and in the morning while I brush my teeth and dress, and but for those brief exceptions, I wear the watch 24 hours a day. Turning the activate on wrist raise off at night definitely reduces battery drain overnight. But the really impressive thing for me is how fast it charges, and how you can utilize that if you care to do so.

20. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

Out of interest, why do you wear it at night? It doesn't do sleep tracking does it?

21. rockyromero macrumors 6502

rockyromero

Occasionally, when I need to wake up early, I will have my AW on my wrist for notifications.

Additionally, when my wife travels, I have my AW on me at all times. Just in case.

She appreciates it.

22. Roller macrumors 68020

That's interesting. I keep my Apple watch and iPhone on the night table next to my bed for notifications. That way, they're only about a foot or so from my head and I'm more likely to hear and/or see an alert than if I wore the Watch in bed.

23. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

Fair enough - I guess the alarm is a pretty good reason. It's way too quiet to be used as an alarm unless you're wearing it of course.

24. Kahalu'u Bob macrumors 6502a

Kahalu'u Bob

Hi Marc: Like Rocky says, the quite alarm is nice if you sleep with a partner, and I think my wife appreciates it. I have limited notifications, but the alerts at night are occasionally of interest. And, while there is no formal sleep tracking, I find the record of heart rate at night interesting -- I have been surprised at the things that seem to affect it.