Battery life much worse now

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by docgerrard, Jan 26, 2012.

1. docgerrard macrumors 6502

I have the following in my cydia installed area:

Activator
    Airplane SBSettings
    AppList
    Barrel
    BigBoss Icon Set
    biteSMS
    Bug Fix: duplicate icons
    Bug Fix: stuck pages
    Cydia Installer
    Cydia translations
    dba-tech Common
    Default HD SBSettings
    FakeClockUp
    FolderEnhancer
    Gridlock
    GUI-GPG-SEC
    iFile
    KillBackground
    KuaiDial
    libdisplaystack
    LockInfo
    Mobile Substrate
    Navigation from Maps
    OpenSSH
    Repo Setup Files
    SBSettings
    sbsettingstoggles
    Serious SBSettings HD
    ShowCase
    SiriToggles
    Source GUI
    Substrate Safe Mode
    TetherMe
    TetherMe APN Editing
    WeeSlide for Notifications
    Winterboard
    Zephyr

Sorry for the long list! But which of these kills my battery? I have winter board but I don't have any crazy themes or anything so I don't think this should be that big of an issue, right?

2. naixed macrumors member

coming from a person who freshly restored last night.

I have come to this conclusion. Install your tweaks one at a time, and monitor your iphone's performance. If things check out okay install your next tweak.

I know this isn't ideal for the instant gratification whores, but it's better that I know which tweaks are effing up my phones performance.

3. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Could be Winterboard, but you need to provide some more info about that....ie...have you any moving wallpapers or special themes that may suck on the battery....

4. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

5. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

This.

Not this.

6. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I guarantee Winterboard takes a hit in your battery life, I used it for a long time and recently stopped and noticed a significant improvement on my battery.

7. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I, too, have used it for a long time (dating back to my 3GS) and have NEVER had my battery take a hit from WinterBoard itself. As others have said, it's what you use IN WinterBoard that matters (graphic-intensive themes, live wallpaper, etc.)

It's like it's become vogue around here to instantly assume it's WinterBoard when someone talks about bad battery life on a jailbroken phone.

If people have stats to back up their claims of WinterBoard being the culprit (in and of itself, not the themes you choose to use with it), then post them up. If not, then they're just being sheep and listening to the myths that others are spewing.

OP, do what naixed suggested and install things one by one. This is your best bet to find the culprit (and I'd all but guarantee you it isn't WinterBoard).

8. docgerrard thread starter macrumors 6502

I use suave HD so that has nothing moving and i don't think its graphic intensive either, so may not be winter board

Do I have to completely restore my iPhone or can I just uninstall everything I listed and start over?

I feel like some of the things in my list are essential files for the jailbreak to work. not sure though.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    But people say its WB not something installed in WB like a specific theme.
    Not all themes are the same, same are buggy, some are very graphic and battery intense etc...
    So in the end its the WB but more specific a type of WB theme installed.
    And that list is very long IMO, I stick to less than 10 addons that I need an use. There's tons of stuff out there in cydia, the more you install the more your chances you will get bugs and battery issues.
    Just my 02.

10. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

actually that is what I meant... I guess I didn't go into detail as I should have

11. Paradoxally macrumors 68000

Winterboard lags my iPod 4G like crazy though. I restored from stock yesterday, chose not to go with my iTunes backup, jailbroke, installed my usual tweaks and stuff, NOT winterboard.

Results? Much faster, doesn't lag when scrolling pages (had to get Barrel before to get rid of this), I have more free memory (and it's very limited on my device, this isn't an iPhone) and things are so much snappier.

Winterboard didn't really drain my battery, I just had a theme or two that customized around 20-30 icons. But it lags pretty badly on iOS 5 (it's even worse than when I was on iOS 4) and that's enough for me to ditch it.

12. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I have class every day from 7:30 to 2:20 and when I'd get out of school my battery would still be at like 96% from sitting on standby in my pocket. After jailbreaking I noticed today that my battery was about 80% by the end of the school day. I'm also not using winterboard, I think the jailbreak overall is what's causing it.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not the JB itself but something installed after the JB from cydia.

14. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

It could also be a cracked app as i see you have ************ app. There a give away in one of the packages you posted that its installed or been installed on that device at some point

15. docgerrard thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah thats what I'm talking about. Are any of the apps that I have known to cause problems with battery?

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd start removing them all and installing them one by one see if you can pinpoint the problem.
    Maybe its not a specific app or a conflict when a package installed with other preexisting packages etc...
    Its all a trial and error game.

17. gothamguy macrumors member

I am new to JB'ing but couldn't lockinfo also be a suspect? If it is constantly polling the phone from updated information, wouldn't that drain the battery?

18. thomasuk macrumors newbie

Same here

I use iPhone 4S and I'm not using any of the applications mentioned. My phone can loose 80% of it's charge overnight. I tried to restore and JB again. I'm still experiencing battery drainage. Any suggestions?

19. whiskeyvol macrumors regular

you can set lockinfo's updates to any time interval

20. docgerrard thread starter macrumors 6502

So my only option is to completely remove everything one by one?

I guess my original intention of this topic would be to have a list of which of my apps are known to be battery hogs and which ones probably don't do much.