Battery life. Normal?

v490

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
I have a new mbp 13 i5, and i think the battery lasts too little. With ONLY wifi and safari, browsing without flash, and with 3 boxes of display lightning and keyboard lightning off, the battery lasts around 5 hours max. I had finished charging it and it went from 100% to 50% in around 2.30 hours of use and now it says there is 3 left. Is that normal? Wasn't it advertised as 7?

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
As with gas mileage in a car, real life use varies.

Try turning off bluetooth and quitting applications you don't need. Also check Activity Monitor to ensure that you don't have any background processes running that you are unaware of.

GGJstudios said:
This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Check the activitiy monitor. The smallest things can kill the battery life.
Some background process is probably doing stuff it shouldn't.

v490

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
bluetooth is off, activity monitor is in check. ONLY safari. since i have made the thread, battery went down to 43%.

Nov 28, 2010
located
bluetooth is off, activity monitor is in check. ONLY safari. since i have made the thread, battery went down to 43%.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example

Further reading:
______________________________________________________​

punchwalk

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Maryland, USA
I'm a fellow MBP user and I'd say what you're experiencing is normal.

Some people claim they get the full 7 hours, but I've never even come close to that (I think the most I've gotten is close to 5 and that's rare).

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a new mbp 13 i5, and i think the battery lasts too little. With ONLY wifi and safari, browsing without flash, and with 3 boxes of display lightning and keyboard lightning off, the battery lasts around 5 hours max. I had finished charging it and it went from 100% to 50% in around 2.30 hours of use and now it says there is 3 left. Is that normal? Wasn't it advertised as 7?
There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the Battery FAQ link posted by mgartner0622 for details.