Battery life - not impressed

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by CmdrLaForge, Apr 25, 2015.

1. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

:( Used my Apple Watch 42 mm for the first full day today and I am less then impressed by the battery life.

Took it on this morning at 7am - at 8 pm tonight the watch went into power savings mode. Not great. Of course first day with the watch I used it maybe more then I would usual but not to much as least not as what I would think.

I am wondering if I have a lemon because the reviewers in general did not have any issues in regards to this.

2. jjlannoo Suspended

heavy use today, played with it a lot. Took it off the charger at 4:30am. Its now 3:46pm and I'm at 54%

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Apple said up to 18 hours. You don't have a lemon.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

What sort of things did you do with it? Did you go for long runs, use the activity tracker, check notifications a lot, or play music and take calls? So far, I've had the watch on for 5 hours and it's used 18% (it's a 38mm), which seems pretty good so far.

5. Chiguy12 macrumors member

Chiguy12

6. tomaustin44 macrumors regular

I've been using mine pretty heavily today testing stuff (Workout, navigation, apps etc) and am still on 57% so i'm really impressed.

7. water0nmars macrumors newbie

After one day of use you're wondering if you have a lemon because review people didn't have issues and you do?

After ONE day?

8. CmdrLaForge, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015

CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Thats sounds much better then my own experience.

One thing is that I used the activity tracker while walking for about 1:30hours. Maybe that did run the battery down?

Maybe I have a lemon. I will see how it does tomorrow. Maybe I call Apple Support on Monday.

9. Capsicum macrumors newbie

That sounds like it. Take a look at this https://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

10. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Well, yes that could be it. I hope so. What I just read what really impresses me is this:

I am wondering how long the watch will work if I put it into Power Reserve when the battery is at 100%.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I'm surprised to hear this. I took it off the charger at 5:30am est. It is now 5:00pm, and I still have 58% left. This is the 38mm

12. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I did the math after reviewing the numbers apple states on its site and it could be very well the activity tracker...

13. whatos macrumors 6502a

Eighteen hours of usage and four charges, all partial, I'm suitably impressed for the tiny space they had to work with.

Apple has done a good job of compromise. Every product is a series of compromises to bring to market a well balanced device.

14. JKNorth macrumors member

That doesn't sound quite right. My battery life is great.

Took it off the charger at 9am. It's been 8 hours. I've been using it off and on all day. It's at 70%.

15. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

So . . . second day...

Today is much much better. I didn't use the activity tracker. I put the watch on at 9 am in the morning and this evening at 9 pm I was still at 56% charged after 12 hours !!!

I didn't use the watch a lot but my todays experience is of course just fine.

16. Denziloshamen macrumors member

Three weeks if 10% gives you 72 hours!!!

17. SR71 macrumors 68000

Actually, you could get more than three weeks. More like 4-5+ weeks if you kept it in power reserve from 100%. See my explanation below.

Just doing some basic math, but if you can get 72 hours of battery at 10%, you can get at least 720 hours (30 days) of battery in power reserve mode from 100% battery. The reason I say at least 720 hours is because even when my watch was at 3% battery, it still said there were >2 days of battery life if it was in power reserve mode. If that's true, the Watch could actually be used for 50+ days in power reserve mode from 100%. That's simply awesome.

Also, to contribute to the thread: My battery life has been wonderful. Here's the most I've gotten :

From 100% to dead
    Usage: 6 hours, 9 minutes
    Standby: 1 day, 3 hours.

18. Kroxx macrumors regular

I personally think the battery is a lot better than I expected!!!

19. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I expected the battery to be bad and it has been bad. No disappointments here but I set a low expectation.

20. josh bear macrumors regular

Hi

First day with mine. Off charger at 7.30 am. Some good use all day. Bit of Instagram, texting, two three min phone calls. Lots of messing with the watch face :)

Now almost 10.30pm and at 14 percent. Traveling for the day tomorrow, first chance to use it as a boarding card :)
    In theory will be off charge from 5.15am through to 9pm. Will see how it goes.

Have checked and it does charge from the the portable battery I carry for the phone on my day journey.

Josh

21. sterl320 macrumors 6502

look through the forums, there are many people who have had a great battery experience with it. I don't think you have a lemon, but I do think normal usage for you could be considered excessive to other people.

22. Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

Appreciating the battery life info folks, keep it coming...

23. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

Yup, the exercise app/activity trackers drains the battery at an alarming rate.

24. Alith macrumors 6502

The activities constantly measure your heart rate, which saps battery. If you're brisk walking you will still fill up the activity ring without running the activity app.