Battery life on 15" rMBP 14 - Iris Pro vs 750M

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by canmed, Aug 4, 2014.

1. canmed macrumors newbie

Debating which laptop I'm going to get. I was wondering if the higher end 15" rMBP will have a shorter battery life because the processor and GPU is more powerful? Also does anyone know what kind of usage Apple's 8 hour estimated battery life is based on? Thank you!

2. Sifinity macrumors 6502

Sifinity

8 hour is based on light work , with minimal brightness lol , don't expect 8 hours with gaming , video editing or anything that requires power lol

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The higher end MBP has identical battery life, as long as you use gfxcardstatus to disable the 750M while on battery power. I did that on my 2.6/16/1TB/750M late-2013 machine and get around 8-9 hours.

My usage was several tabs in Safari (no Flash), iTunes, Preview and Pages.

4. Godavid macrumors newbie

Hmmm... so you probably only use the internet for some research and such right? A lot of times gfxcardstatus doesn't work since macbook FORCES the switch.

Which is why I'm curious about instead just getting the one with iris pro and simply save the hassle and battery.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's a known bug. You just have to set it to Integrated twice and it will not force the switch.

6. pingchp macrumors newbie

Got Iris Pro model and reach to 8 hours easily.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I have the 750M variant and easily hit 8.5 hours.

Some people just don't know how to use gfxcardstatus properly.

Here's how:
    1. After login, set to integrated.
    2. Set it to integrated again, because the first time you do it still leaves it at dynamic switching. Doing this a second time will truly force it into integrated only.

Although I only use the 750M for some CUDA-accelerated software and gaming, I also like the feeling of knowing that I have more power under my hood when I need it.

Attached Files: