Battery Life on 2009 MBP

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by fins831, Jul 30, 2012.

1. fins831 macrumors 6502a

ML seems to have really took a beating on my battery life. I would wager I am seeing 30 percent less use out of my laptop since upgrading, the percentages just keep dropping. On average I prob got 4-5 hours of straight use, no video before, now I am lucky if I get 3 solid hours.

Info: MBP unibody2009 8 Gig Ram, ML upgrade, 2.26 Ghz
    650 cycles
    Tests say the battery is doing just fine
    Brightness without charger is about 45 percent
    Energy Saver options are enabled and running/functioning
    Nothing heavy running in the background - only diff from SL -> ML is icloud

Any ideas, or anyone seeing the same issue?

Other than this one issue I am loving ML so far.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

3. fins831 thread starter macrumors 6502a

There are many factors that impact battery life...but one major change from last week and this week is ML.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed any changes. I have read that time and time again and doesn't change the issue at hand...the only variable change since last week is mountain lion.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So did you go through the list? It addresses possible solutions, even if you just upgraded to ML.

5. alFR macrumors 68020

Spotlight isn't reindexing your system volume, is it? That would hit battery life until it's finished.

6. fins831, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

fins831 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Only solution I think I could try is gfx thing. Rest I have tried already.

7. fins831 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Spotlight is finished reindexing. It did it the first day.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's nothing there that would indicate high resource usage, either by apps or the OS. Here's a few other things that may help improve performance and reduce power demands:

9. fins831 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just deleted some widgets and some stuff from startup folder, did a restart and just hit 5 percent, going to run it down to 1-2 percent and give it a full charge and see if any difference. Did a few performance tweaks here and there.

10. MoxFulder macrumors newbie

Same problem as you with same specs.
    Check my posts...nothing helped so far. It IS because of ML.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

And yet many, many others have no such problems with ML. It's not the upgrade; it's something specific to your computer.

12. fins831 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really don't want to do a clean install, but I will if this holds up for a week or so

13. Ragnar-Kon macrumors member

Had the same issue with a late 2008 MBP after the Lion upgrade... knocked down my battery life by ~20% or so. Ended up doing a clean install and that fixed it. No idea what it was, but I have a feeling it was an application that just wasn't compatible with Lion.

With Mountain Lion I didn't even bother doing the upgrade... just did a clean install. No noticeable drop in battery life this time around but all three of my batteries (my laptop is pre-unibody) are so beyond dead that I'm lucky to get 30 minutes out of them anyway.

It has always been my policy with Windows machines to do a clean install for a major software upgrade, and I've since extended that same policy to Mac machines. Solves TONS of problems. I would ask friends with later MBPs to see if they have issues but they've all done clean installs as well.

14. meme1255 macrumors 6502

In my case it looks like Safari 6 is a problem - it has CPU usage spikes around 80% ( Just 6 tabs of Macrumors topics with click to plugin and adblock..)

15. rangen macrumors regular

rangen

Clean install has added an hour to the battery life of my 2010 MacBook Pro

16. sigbiz macrumors newbie

Better battery life

I'm getting around 1 hr longer also when doing office type stuff on my Macbook pro early 2011. That was with simple (not clean) install.

17. MoxFulder macrumors newbie

Clean install of ML, still the same.
    Clean install of Lion, everything back to normal. Been on the battery for 3.5 hours now, it's at 70%

Now, who said it has nothing to do with ML? :)

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's still something to do with your particular computer and installation. If it was a problem with ML, everyone would have the same problem, which they don't.

19. MoxFulder macrumors newbie

Yes, and interestingly the other folks with the same issues also have a 2009 MBP, at least one of them also a 13". We'll see if there's going to be a solution one day.