Battery Life on brand new MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by techead76, Sep 7, 2014.

1. techead76 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Does anyone else have a short life battery on their MacBook Pro 15.4/2.5/i7/512gb with Retina?

It is only brand new and after being on for an hour looking at nothing but emails and surfing the net, it is down by 12% to 88%.

Is that normal?

Thanks,
    Ben

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

Losing 12% per hour works out to about 8.33 hours of battery life. That's perfectly normal.

3. techead76 thread starter macrumors newbie

Battery Life on brand new MacBook Pro

Okay thank you for that.
    It is depleting much quicker than the MacBook Air but I guess that is because there is a hell of a lot more going on inside.

Cheers,
    Ben
    :apple:

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you're using Chrome, dump it. It's a massive resource hog and drains battery.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

if Spotlight is still indexing, that'll also cause your battery to drain faster.

6. teralpar macrumors newbie

What web browser would you suggest besides Chrome? I'm using Chrome right now because I don't really care for Safari.

7. Cablekevin macrumors member

To get the most out of your battery just use Safari, i think you'll like Safari more when Yosemite ships, it has a better feel to it.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you don't care for Safari, then I suggest you don't use OS X at all.

Safari is the best browser for OS X, while Chrome is the worst.

9. keyofnight macrumors regular

keyofnight

Safari has the excellent power-saver feature that keeps embedded media from loading/running a plugin without you saying it's okay. I'm not sure Chrome does that. I've heard good enough things about Firefox, but I haven't used it in a year. It's worth a shot.

BTW, I regularly get 12 hours of battery life out of my late-2013, 13" rMBP. I heard the 15" is supposed to get *more* battery life, but I could be wrong about that. I've also got 230 cycles on this battery.

Here's a checklist of things you can do to make sure you're getting the most out of your battery. Make sure your keyboard's backlight isn't on (I've left mine on by accident a few times). Make sure bluetooth isn't on. Keep your LCD backlight down to 4 notches or lower. Make sure none of your apps are eating CPU cycles or RAM by checking the Activity Monitor app. Also, do you have an SD card or small USB key plugged in? Sometimes that can cause battery drain too. If you're not using Yosemite yet, disable Dashboard. It's a resource hog, and it will drag you down. (Here are instructions: http://www.howtogeek.com/tips/how-to-disable-the-useless-dashboard-on-mac-os-x/)

That's all I've got for now. :D