Battery life on my IPP 9.7 is not good

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RMSko, Apr 1, 2016.

1. RMSko macrumors 6502

I got my new IPP 9.7 yesterday and for me the battery is worse than with my iPad Air. Admittedly I have the screen at about 80% and also use Bluetooth and cellular, but I also did all that with my Air. For example, today I started at 100% and after about 90 minutes of use (including about 30 minutes of Slingbox streaming), I'm down to 63%. Perhaps that's to be expected, but it means I would only get around 4 hours out of it until needing to be charged. Any thoughts?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

Spotlight indexing ? App downloads/restore ?

4. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

• Run it all the way down to 0% and let it get a full charge
    • Check battery usage and location services to see if there's a specific app that is chewing through battery as it attempts to to run on the device for the first time
    • As mentioned above, sometimes it takes a day or two for things to sort themselves out regarding restore, indexing, and content download (iCloud Photo Library, Music, etc)
    If it doesn't level out in a few days after the above, I'd make a genius bar appointment.

5. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

It will be interesting if others report similar numbers.

Going from Engadget's review, the Pro 9.7 has the worst battery of the last three iPad versions.

A consequence of keeping the weight low.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Keep in mind that 80% brightness would actually brighter than the Air at full brightness.

How are your retinas feeling....a bit toasty? :p

7. Sparky2012, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016

Sparky2012 macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

Are Technica showed the Pro 9.7" had the best battery for iPads in recent years. I wonder how each of them (Ars and Engadget) got completely different results. Just have to wait and find out how the average customers find the battery life on it.

Personally on mine, it's doing alright - at 28% after about 7 1/2 hours of usage from Netflix, YouTube, some flight simulation games, web browsing, music on Spotify and messing about with the cameras. As well as this I've had the display at about an average of 60% throughout the day.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Just from using mine yesterday and today, the battery seems to be about like my Air 2. I do not see the battery being a problem. The OP was running 80% brightness, cellular and bluetooth.

I use cellular and it does use a bit more battery, the bluetooth is a non-issue unless it is on all the time. I leave BT on my iPad all the time.

9. aypues macrumors regular

Does Pencil usage affect battery life? I read somewhere the screen refreshes at double the rate when the Pencil is being used and thought that might hit the battery a little more than usual use.

10. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Every device you ever buy will have abnormal battery usage for the first couple of days or week. You CANNOT make a reasonable assessment of the battery life on the first day. First, it's a brand new toy. You are almost certainly using it far heavier than you will once it's several months old. Second, there are a lot of system level processes that are probably happening behind the scenes. If you restore from iCloud, there can be a ton of downloading happening in the background. Mine downloaded nearly 40GB of content during the first day!

Yes, I would expect battery usage to be somewhat higher when using the pencil. I can tell that the iPad gets a bit hotter than usual when I'm writing constantly - although this appears to be somewhat app dependent - OneNote in particular seems worse than others.

11. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Minimal I'd say...only need BT on. I'd think having wifi on and screen brightness are bigger factors.

12. Sparky2012 macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

So this is my first full day battery stats of using the iPad Pro 9.7"

image.png image.jpeg

Attached Files:

13. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Was the 11 hrs w/wifi on or was the wifi off some of the time? Also, what level screen brightness?

14. Sparky2012 macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

Wifi on all of the 11 hours yes. I changed the brightness a bit throughout the day but I'd say it was at an average of about 50%.

15. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Ok...thanks.

16. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

#1. I am getting over 10 hours use moderate backlight at 50% brightness
    #2. I have a Sprint LTE model with Celluar Radio off WiFi only on 802.11 AC 5Ghz only more efficient.
    #3. I set it up as a New iPad no Apps pics or Music being updated
    #4. Everything Cloud related is off.
    #5. I did top off my battery as I un boxed so plugged in when I did setup. Very few people do proper battery care. Never ever let Lithium ion cells drain to 0%
    #6. I do split screen side by side Safari on 2 forums.

Very happy with battery life

17. JohnnyGo, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016

JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

And you did use YouTube a lot: a known battery killer

It seems like great battery life to me, much better than iPad Air 2

18. journeyy macrumors regular

80% brightness should be quite a bit brighter on the IPP than on the Air?

19. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Yeah Apple's quality lately has been terrible. My iMac's battery life is atrocious.

20. yegon, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016

yegon macrumors 68020

Had great battery life mine on mine today.

All at max brightness, I streamed the entire Liverpool Spurs game on Sky Go, and watched about 90 mins worth of high bitrate mkv's with Infuse. So about 3hrs 45 of video. Maybe 30 minutes of browsing via cellular. 61% left. My Air 2 ime would be well in nder 50% doing the same. Yeah, I know my Air 2s battery was older but even taking that into account I suspect the 9.7'' Pro is performing about 8-10% better.

21. imac09 macrumors member

Best post I've seen on here

22. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Despite what I said earlier, I'm still on my first charge since purchase. 48 hours standby, 8:30 usage, 30% left. Including a lot of stylus usage. Good enough for me, and might be better than my Air 2.