Battery life on my MBPro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cranners, Jan 9, 2013.

1. cranners macrumors newbie

Hi,
    My battery life has just completely shot down over the last two/three weeks and I'm just wondering what might have caused it. For one of those weeks I was on holidays, the machine was turned off and plugged out, but it is generally used quite a lot. It was bought Sept' 2010 and done 621 cycles, with a health of 82%. At present it says 32% charge with an estimate of 37 minutes remaining (I'm used to it lasting 6 hours on full charge!).
    My wifi has been having issues recently, would this contribute or is it simply running out of juice? For example all I have open today is Chrome, iTunes and Mail.
    Thanks!
    TC

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Sounds like your battery is shot. They typically act like yours when they give up the ghost. If you look in "about this mac" in the :apple: menu in the upper left corner, you can check your battery health in the power section. It will probably say something like "service now" or something similar.

You can probably get your battery replaced for free though, since you only have 600 cycles on it when they're supposed to last up to 1000. Take it into apple and find out, it's at least worth a shot.

3. cranners thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, checked on that screen and it says Condition: Normal.. So they probably won't replace it would they?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple usually won't consider replacing a battery unless it's below 80%. There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.