Battery life on new Iphone4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richardc1983, Nov 13, 2010.

1. richardc1983 macrumors regular

Hi everyone

Have been reading the forums for a while, how long before battery life is at full capacity.

I bought the phone new yesterday it had 70% charge when I got it home, I charged it to 100% that day ready for work that night. I work nights so didnt have chance to run it flat that day. WHen I got home it was at about 55% after facebook use, I think it said something like 4hours usage.

Phone was left on charge that day while I slept and tonight I am back at work, stats now showing 5:13mins usage / 10:8mins standby. 32% battery level remaining.

Have used it for internet/texting, some apps, checking email and safari as well as watching a couple of vids on youtube.

I hope it improves once I do a full discharge and recharge. Is it just because it is new? At present I would say the battery life is discharging at a rate of 1% every 10mins if browsing internet. Which is the same rate as what my 3year old 3G discharged at so hope it improves.

Have 3G turned on, wifi off, push off, brightness about 40% and I make sure no apps are running that I am not using.

Your thoughts please.

Regards
    Richard.

Any tips?

Thanks.

2. ttt123 macrumors newbie

Battery life optimizing

Location can be a heavy battery user. When a lot of applicaitons are using Location, there will be some that will cause heavy usage. My guess is that they trigger the 3G radio on for data transfer.

The best way to manage it is to disable it when not needed. And also look at the list under Location (when it is enabled) and only turn it on for specific applicaitons. Turn it off for those applications that you don't really need.

After my daughter used my phone and turned location on for Facebook, by battery drained like you are seeing. Not knowing what it was, I tried reboots, etc., and almost restored it, until I noticed that Location was on.

Of course it could also be that you are just using it heavily, or you are in a weak signal area.

3. richardc1983 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply, I dont have facebook showing up under location services, I have the latest version as well.

So my battery life wont improve then after I have discharged it fully a few times and then recharged it?

4. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I ride the bus everyday for about an hour and stream a local sports radio station over 3G. By the time I am done it is about 80-85%, sometimes less for some reason but generally 80-85%.

This just gave me an idea to try it on EDGE and see how the battery works.

5. ttt123 macrumors newbie

Correction, I meant Notifications

Correction, I meant Notifications, and not Location. I do turn Location, Push, WiFi, Bluetooth off normally, and I get over a day minimum of battery usage, and I do not use Facebook, Twitter apps, which is why I was so puzzled when my battery life got so bad. After I found that it was Notifications/Facebook causing it, I turned it off, and things went back to normal.

As to whether usage will get better with 1 or 2 full discharge/charge cycles, it should get better, but that itself will not change the battery life significantly, I believe. Best way to identify is to try shutting everything off that has been discussed, and confirming what is using the battery. I know that Notification was a completely unexpected battery drainer to me, and I thought I understood the iphone, having used the 3G, 3GS, and now the IP4.

3G uses more battery than 2G, and a weak 3G signal will cause the phone to increase the radio power, which will increase battery usage. This would be a fundamental cause, it you are using it in a weak reception area.

6. richardc1983 thread starter macrumors regular

My phone is jailbroken as well but only with Cydia and I use installous on it too but I dont have anything else installed.

I have heard of something in Cydia called auto3g which toggles 3g off and on as and when the screen is locked but I guess this will drain battery as well as it will run in the background to dtect when screen is locked..

7. animatedude macrumors 65816

8. richardc1983 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry?

9. brdwygurl macrumors regular

Are you asking how to disable location?

10. ttt123 macrumors newbie

Shut of location, Notification, etc.

On a jailbroken phone, SBSettings is one of the most useful Cydia applications, and the first thing I install (after Appsync) for a jailbreak. Try it if you have not used it.

A horizontal stroke across the top of the screen brings out the SBSettings toggles from almost every application that you are running (except if you are running full screen, like in Stanza). This allows you to toggle anything on or off very quickly with one stroke, instead of quitting, going to Settings, etc.

The other application that almost by itself justifies an iPhone (for somebody who likes to read) is Stanza, a free ebook reader from the Apple store. After you install, use Safari to go to www.drinkmalk.com, and follow the instructions there to add the drinkmalk catalog to Stanza. Then from Stanza/get books/shared/drinkmalk, you can download current books. This also works on the iPad, and from Android, using Aldiko instead of Stanza.

Sounds like you are not using much from the jailbreak, and I am only suggesting one Cydia application, SBSettings, which really helps to turn on/off the various iPhone basic functions, and Stanza/Drinkmalk, which doesn't need a jailbroken iPhone. I believe a few applications that make the iphone easier to use is what a user really wants. Anything else that you find useful is then a bonus, if you have a few core applicaitons that give you functionality that you use constantly, and that makes life easier for you.

All this is in various forums, of course, so I am merely repeating what has already said. But maybe this will be useful, as the problem becomes too much information, rather than a little bit to get started with.

TK

11. aleni macrumors 68020

12. richardc1983 thread starter macrumors regular

What can you do with SB Settings?

I am worried as I dont want to start putting things that will affect battery life, my understanding is that SB settings is always running in the background and have read things online that say that it impacts on battery life.

All I want to do really is be able to turn 3g or wifi off to save my battery etc.

13. richardc1983 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, ran the iphone flat this morning so that it turned itself off, fully charged it and tonight after about 2 hours 3g internet usage its already at 73%.

This is on par with my 3g, it is not lasting very long at all. Its losing a 1% every couple of minutes.

I am jailbroken but I dont have anything installed apart from cydia and whatever cydia installs as part of the package.

Is there anything else I could remove in cydia?