Battery life on Snow leopard with early 2008 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Aug 28, 2009.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

not as good as it was with leopard, what's up with that?

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

uh, can you give us a little more information?

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm in the process of finding out how well the battery holds up in Snow Leopard. So far doing the things I've been doing with Leopard, the battery seems to be acting the same.

4. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

sure.

with leopard, full charge it estimates 4:30 and with this, it seems like it's estimating 2:30.

also, if the estimate is no indicator, the battery surely is dying much quicker.

[​IMG]

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

are all your pref the same, or did you do a clean install? maybe it needs to be calibrated first?

6. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

all preferences are the same, did an upgrade.

did an install twice, same thing.

7. tivoboy macrumors 68030

spotlight

Could be spotlight is doing a new indexing update?

8. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

yeah i forgot about that, it is.

but even after that (first time i installed) battery went so quickly.

i'll report back once it's not indexing.

[​IMG]

went up after indexing, but still not what it was with leopard.

9. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

WHOOPS: mods didn't mean to double post, feel free to delete this one.

10. Strachdan macrumors newbie

i recalibrated my battery last night (macbook early 2009) and managed to get 5:37hrs out of it

when i upgraded to SL i've managed 3:10

11. finder39 macrumors member

Does anyone notice a decrease in battery life from Leopard to Snow Leopard? I have the new 13" MBPu with the 2.53 GHz processor. I used to get between 5 and 7 hours. Now it seems to tell me i'm only going to get between 2 and a half and 4. Will this fix itself or whats up with it?

thats what i posted in my other topic in Mac OS X. I don't know why i lost so much battery

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=8374874#post8374874

12. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Hmm. If anything, its much improved for me. I have a late 08' Unibody with the non-sealed battery and I'm getting 4 and half hours left.

13. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

My battery life is also significantly decreased. Estimated 3 hours instead of 4:30-5. On my machine, mds and Quick Look Helper are running constantly, even though I left the computer sit idle for over 12hrs to complete indexing, etc... Even restarted.

14. kousuke18 macrumors regular

Same here. I noticed I am getting better battery life in snow leopard. The one thing I noticed is that my cpu usage is very low in snow leopard (around 0-8%) when using safari and msn in the background.

15. wankey macrumors 6502a

Agreed, same issue. Will try a complete clean SL install to see if there's any difference.

16. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Give it a week before you try any actual benchmarks. Could be spotlight or some other behind the scenes app running that will finish up soon so as to not affect your battery

17. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

January/09 UMBP 17. Screen brightness at 40%. Wireless and bluetooth on. Battery life estimates between 6:41 and 8:21. Light surfing in Safari. Ran an upgrade, not a clean install because I am just too lazy to reinstall everything. Battery life seems a bit better than under 10.5.6.

Tom

18. RDM3 macrumors regular

I upgraded to SL on Friday and just put my MBP 15" to sleep Friday night, but on Saturday I took it to my cousins for her to check out, I used all but an hour of battery life, I came home plugged it in for about 3 hours full charge and went back to her house for a family dinner, I had shut it down and fired it up to do a football draft, at that time it showed about 2 hrs 45 mins, which caught my eye, so I ran it down to nothing last night, and charged it from around midnight until 8 pm, I have been on for abour 40 mins and it is showing 4 hours left, I am using a bluetooth mouse, firefox and wireless internet about half brightness on the display.

So try running it down and charge it for an extended time and see how it goes

19. tolive macrumors member

Same here

My Mid-09 MBP 2.53GHz, only 35 cycles on the battery, got almost 6 hours on Leopard, battery condition was "Good"; Did a fresh installation of Snow Leopard, now it reports less than 3 hours on full charged battery, and battery condition becomes "Normal"...

20. LReyes66 macrumors member

i upgraded my mbp and not clean install... will that make a diff in battery life? ive noticed ive been getting less battery life with SL

21. tivoboy macrumors 68030

concensus?

Any concensus on this? I have a 2008 mid year MBP I want to upgrade, but currently get about 2.5hours maybe 3, a bit more with WIFI off etc. I cannot get LESS time even for SL. Any feedback about whether this is just a numbers issue, or actual lower Battery life for some services running?

22. The ArchAngel macrumors regular

If it helps at all, I have just over 300 cycles on my early 2008 MBP's battery, so it's definitely at a point where it's not holding quite the same charge that it used to. However, I have not noticed any significant change in battery life under SL, and if anything, it's actually maybe slightly better. Before my max was about 2.5 hours, now I'm hovering between that and 3 hours.

23. footballforever macrumors member

it's crazy, my battery life with SL is even better then it was with regular leopard, and the screen brightness is better too, I have my screen brightness on 1, yes 1 and it brighter then it was on half on leopard.

24. Nik73 macrumors regular

Virtually the same thing for me on my MBP as well mate. :(
    Tried calibrating it, etc. but no joy. Strange that some are getting improved battery life.

25. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

My penryn Classic is getting about the same batt. life. It was all funky for a while after install, like it was messed up or something. But after a while it returned to normal. Im at 83% Now and have 3 1/2 hours left. Thats also with 87% health