Battery life on the new Macbooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by suekitch, Jun 27, 2009.

1. suekitch macrumors regular

Hi folks,

I've just bought a new iMac and as I'm currently in the "love it to pieces" stage I'm wondering about replacing my Windows laptop with a Mac. I'm in two minds about it though... the way my life works, I go through periods of needing a laptop and not.

For example, I'm living and studying in Sheffield, UK, which is a town about 200 miles north of where my folks live. So I'm travelling back to see them a bit, usually every 3-4 weeks, and I'm down south at the moment and suffering TERRIBLE Mac withdrawal!! I also have a boyfriend in Denmark who I visit about once a month for a week or two at a time, so I do spend a fair bit of time away from my main home as it were.

As a student too, from September-April I have definite use of a laptop for classes, though next year is my last year of needing to attend classes so this would only be a year's worth.

Of course, when I'm in Sheffield, at home, (I also do clinical placements where I wouldn't need the laptop but I can see how it might be useful, I'm just a bit worried about carrying it around in a hospital), I have the iMac there..

My Windows laptop will go for a good four hours of me typing away during my lectures, which I need. The odd day I would've liked to have got six hours' use of it, but we can't have it all. I'm using MobileMe too which is great, but would be that bit better if I had all my notes sync'd up as I wrote them, too.

So that's the question really. The cheaper MacBook price appeals to me, but I need to know if it would last for four hours+ of constant typing, or if I'd need to be considering the 13" MBP instead?

Cheers,

Sue

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

A good review of real world battery performance on the new whitebooks is included on the following link:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/faq/macbook-battery-life.html

"For the "Early 2008/Penryn" models, introduced February 26, 2008, the usually comprehensive MacWorld did not run battery life tests. However, in an excellent review from Electronista (from the same publisher as the long-running MacNN), the author discovered:

Using Apple's recommended settings of normal power usage, wireless turned on, and half screen brightness, I netted better than expected battery life in the exact same conditions. The test system lasted for 4 hours and 54 minutes, or about 4.9 hours, of average web browsing."
    For the "Early 2009/NVIDIA" system, quietly introduced on January 20, 2009, MacWorld reported:

In our worse-case scenario testing -- watching a movie from the hard drive at full screen and full brightness -- we got 2 hours and 42 minutes of battery life, about 10 minutes more than with the last generation white MacBook, and about 6 minutes more than the 2 GHz aluminum MacBook.[...]

For the current "Mid-2009" MacBook, MacWorld confirmed that the battery life has increased significantly compared to the the "Early 2009" model it replaced:

In terms of battery life, we found that the white MacBook could play a QuickTime movie at full brightness for three hours and 22 minutes, 38 minutes longer than the aluminum MacBook and 28 minutes longer than the MacBook Pro, when the pro system was set to use its battery-saving lower powered graphics.
    Ultimately, it appears that Apple's latest battery life numbers for the MacBook are quite realistic. However, as Apple notes as well, battery life may vary depending on "configuration and use"."

So, it would appear that it would. You could probably get better battery life by turning the wifi off when you're typing in lectures assuming you don't need it.

The base 13" mbp would also include the new extended life battery for a little bit more money.

3. will0407 macrumors 6502a

Get the student deal if you can on the new 13" macbook pro- if you sell the ipod and printer, along with getting your rebates back, the total spend worsk out at about 685 WITH applecare- an absolute bargain for the quality of laptop you get.

4. suekitch thread starter macrumors regular

well guys just to report back :)

I got the MBP 13" today, couldn't resist. But sadly the printer offer isn't going on in retail store it seems anymore, and the 'free' iPod is now just a considerable rebate on it (still pay the VAT).

Still, considering I got the 13" MBP for about £770, AppleCare for £43 (down from about £200, and a new 120GB iPod Classic (or a 120GB storage device depending on how you want to look at it) for £15, it's not too shabby :p