Battery life on WatchOS 6.1.2

GrahamBerks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
Anyone else finding this poor ?

Battery drain is significantly worse after installing it, tried restarting etc.

Apple seem to be incapable of releasing anything these days without it being a buggy mess.

GrahamBerks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
Perhaps you could be more helpful and post some links to these threads, as I don’t see them off hand on a search.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
Anyone else finding this poor ?

Battery drain is significantly worse after installing it, tried restarting etc.

Apple seem to be incapable of releasing anything these days without it being a buggy mess.
For me, the latest update has been the same with battery life. I’m perfectly satisfied — I always get from morning to bedtime with 30+% remaining (S5 with AOD on).

sant1ago

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2011
I’m having same issues. Re-pairing did not work. Glad to hear others are experiencing same thing

GrahamBerks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
Odd, perhaps it was some indexing or sync. But after a few reboots etc it seems to be back to normal after a few days.

Thanks for the responses.

Reactions: luxx80

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
I came here to research the same problem. Series 5. No problems until two days ago when 6.1.2 was installed. Running out of battery after about 12 hours of wearing. Restarted the watch but no improvement.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
I came here to research the same problem. Series 5. No problems until two days ago when 6.1.2 was installed. Running out of battery after about 12 hours of wearing. Restarted the watch but no improvement.
Reboot the phone and watch, then give it a couple days... then check battery life.

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
Reboot the phone and watch, then give it a couple days... then check battery life.
What does the reboot do on the phone?! Also if anything changes then it’d be pretty obvious isn’t it? The wait for a couple of days might not achieve much I think.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
What does the reboot do on the phone?! Also if anything changes then it’d be pretty obvious isn’t it? The wait for a couple of days might not achieve much I think.
Then don’t do anything and continue to complain... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Since the phone communicates continuously with the watch, a reboot of the phone seems prudent and simple. The wait of a couple days is based on many reports here and elsewhere that battery life appears to stabilize on the watch a day or two after an update — I don’t have any other specific evidence other than numerous posts suggesting such behavior.

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
Then don’t do anything and continue to complain... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Since the phone communicates continuously with the watch, a reboot of the phone seems prudent and simple. The wait of a couple days is based on many reports here and elsewhere that battery life appears to stabilize on the watch a day or two after an update — I don’t have any other specific evidence other than numerous posts suggesting such behavior.
I wasn’t trying to be critical. Just thought there might be some specific reason why you suggested the restart of the phone. No hard feelings.

reycat

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2009
Same issue with my Series 4. I tried rebooting, unpairing and repairing... no luck. Finally I brought the Watch to Apple tech service. After three days they told me that everything was alright. I argued (politely) with them and they agreed to run more tests.

Today they messaged me: the Watch will be replaced. Which is awesome because I hate its battery and because a month ago I scratched it badly and I knew I would have to live with it until the Series 6 came out.

ausbill32

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2018
I have cellular service, 6.1.2, and my apple watch 4 dies at 04hrs:10min when I use exercise running app, listen to my airpods, cell service is on, and running app/gps is on. My airpods die first around 3:40-3:50 and then watch dies about 04:10-4;10. The original software that came on my watch 4 allowed me to go over 5 hours while running but since then, the operating system has gotten heavier so now with 6.1.2; we have battery performance decrease. I'm hoping the new watch 7 this year has a much better battery so I can upgrade.

I don't stream music either when I run from my watch, I listen to downloaded playlists that I created. I haven't tried to stream yet with Pandora or Pod casts when I run but surely that would drain the watch even faster.

Last edited:

ausbill32

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2018
Don‘t you think, it has to do with the battery lifetime instead the software?
I think its the software. Original v4 worked well and I wish I would have stayed on that version because I got around 5 hours battery life while running. Version 5 software really sucked down the battery and my watch dropped to mid 3 hour range when running. When version 6 came out it got better and I now get around 4:10-4:15 when running. I've been doing same type of runs in the same Austin TX areas the last 2 years so it's not my exercise or environment causing the battery drain. I firmly believe the software versions themselves have degraded the battery, (more features, more code, it's heavier, requires more processing power = battery drain).

Last edited: