iPhone XR Battery life on XS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Trifectas, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Trifectas macrumors newbie

Hi people,

I’m thinking of switching from my XR to the XS, since the phone is a little too big although I can live with it. the battery on my XR is amazing currently going on it for 39 hours and battery life is 32% used low power mode for most of the time.
    So I had a question for all the owners on the XS how long is the average day battery life with using low power mode and without low power mode. If I am gonna switch I want at least good battery life.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 3, 2019 ---
    Or should I wait for the IPhone XI coming this year
    Okay I messed up some of the edits up here ^^ but wanted to say “Or should I wait for the IPhone XI this year and maybe have same battery life as last year’s XR

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Why are you thinking of changing anyway?! Xr and Xs both are same generation devices anyway. As far as I’m aware of you’ll notice the difference in battery life.

Average battery life is not a good measurement anyway. It all depends on how people use their devices.

3. naturalguy macrumors member

I find the Xs battery life really good and I am a heavy user. I came over from a Galaxy S9 and the Xs battery life is much better. Aside from battery life the Xs is an upgrade over the Xr

4. Alex.jr macrumors member

I’ve had the Xs and now I have the XR.

Regarding battery life, the difference is huge. I was not happy with the Xs battery at all. That was one of the reasons why I made the switch by the way.

If you really really care about battery, I’d think twice.

5. cics, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019

cics macrumors member

cics

Hi, I got my XS yesterday after years of iPhone 7 Plus and brief week with the XR. Love the size and I was torn between XR and XS, I've pulled the trigger after owning the XR for one week.

My priorities were ergonomics (as I use the phone usually with one hand), oled screen, camera and battery life (one full day with moderate use).

Bear in mind, the XR is a fantastic phone.

Screen: I don't care about higher resolution, XR display is superb, but black levels and viewing angles on the XS are a no-brainer for me. Icons seem painted on the screen and there is virtually no space between the screen and the glass. I love it. Win: XS, but it's my personal opinion.

Ergonomics: I think they are both a step forward compared to the plus size phones, much better than the XS Max. Tie.

Camera: I use secondary lens sometimes, both cameras are awesome. The only let down of the XR was portrait mode available for people only, this is a feature I use a lot. Win: XS.

3D touch: I use it only to preview notifications and web links and to interact with widgets in the lock/control screen. I can live with XR long press. Tie.

Battery: battery life on XR was very good, but keep in mind one week only is not enough to judge battery performance as usually they get better after 10-15 days.

For now I can make a comparison between my old 7 Plus (with a brand new battery replaced, because I will give the phone to my partner).

Both iPhones have the same settings:
    4G on
    WiFi and Bluetooth always on
    Paired with an apple watch
    Screen Time off
    Background app refresh on for all apps
    Location on ("in use") for few apps only: weather, transporation app (uber, apple maps), food delivery apps, apple watch faces, find my phone.
    System services: all disabled, but I kept active SOS&emergency, compass calibration, movement calibration (temporary as I am calibrating my apple watch), find my iphone. Location for product improvements is on for maps improving and traffic only.

I unplug my phone at 8am and replug it at midnight usually.

I live and work in places with good 4G and WiFi coverage.

Usage: a lot of safari, imessage, whatsapp, slack, email, few checks on social medias (instagram and linkedin mainly), youtube (i watch a couple of short videos a day), few photos sometimes.

With this pattern, I usually end the day with my 7 Plus with a new battery between 65% (moderate-low usage day) and 40% (moderate-high usage day). During the weekends I play with my phone more, sometimes I play Hearthstone for 1 hour, in this scenario I end the day between 40% and 20%.

Now, I am playing with my XS and comparing to the 7 Plus but keep in mind:
    - I set it up yesterday, as new phone
    - It's still indexing all its stuff and I still have to change few settings (like notifications for all apps) so I will play with it a bit more during these days

It's now 11.30 am and my XS is sitting at 88%, so apparently is draining a bit more battery than the 7 Plus, but again it's early to judge I should wait for few battery cycles to have final figures.

1st update: it's 6pm now, and my XS is at 70%. Not bad considering I used it lightly, 1 phone call, few messages and around 15 minutes of hotspot. Still it's the first day, I think it can do a bit better after few cycles, but should last a full day with a good 30-50% of juice left. Probably about 5-10% less than my 7 Plus.

NOTE: an XR with a 720p OLED screen and portrait mode unlocked would be the DEFINITIVE phone.

6. Trifectas thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it’s kinda big for 1 hand and the XS has an OLED screen. There is nothing wrong with this XR’s screen. And I do mind battery life so if I can get about a day of normal usage battery life I’ll be satisfied. I’m not sure if I should switch to the XS or XI coming this year as I expect it will have the same battery as last year’s XR

7. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

If your goal is to just go by the day then you should be fine with the Xs. Although “normal usage” is again a subjective parameter. Only you can tell if it works for you.

For me normal usage is very low as I don’t get time to really use the phone during the day. For someone on the move always - normal usage - will definitely be more than me. If you know what I mean.

8. Zxxv macrumors 68040

TL;DR

9. cics macrumors member

cics

10. Zxxv macrumors 68040

No idea what that acronym means. Please explain? Thanks

11. cics macrumors member

cics

So, quick update after 1 week, I am very happy with XS battery life. I'm constantly ending my working days with battery life between 60% and 50%. Bear in mind my usage, with the settings above, is moderate when I work and basically on par with 7 Plus with a new battery (maybe slightly less). During the weekend I've played more with music, games (a good half an hour on hearthstone) and some youtube videos... ended up both days at 30%.

Not bad, I think the XS will last a good full day with juice left with moderate/high usage.

If you gambe a lot or watch long videos (Netflix, movies) maybe the XS Max or the XR will last a bit longer.

12. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

The better phone is obviously the Xs, but the Xr is well documented to have a better battery life thanks to it's old screen tech. If battery life is the most critical thing to you, then get the Xr.