Battery Life only on 330M

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vslo, Aug 25, 2010.

1. vslo macrumors regular

Whats up guys,
    I am thiking about wich macbook pro Im going to get. I was experiencing some models at the applestore yesterday. One thing I noticed is that the intel HD graphics makes a lot of things choppy, like the dock, spaces, etc... and its quite annoyng. But with only the 330M in use, things go quite nice.
    So I was thinking, if I only use the dedicated video board, how much hours will I lose?
    Thank you!

2. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

lots.

intel is fine i run it in osx permanent. your being fussy. its mostly lack of video ram that causes the choppy the first time you open something. once its open though its in the video ram which makes it smooth there after.

but to be honest on my new i7 i never notice any choppy graphics

3. vslo thread starter macrumors regular

But I mean the OS graphics. Like dock, spaces, expose... They get little glitches some times.

I am in doubt about 13" or 15".
    I will only use to visit wesites, pdfs, some iwork Jobs, iPhoto, Itunes and Mail.I will mainly use it to go to university. Nothing serious.No gaming. wich size would you go with ?
    Remembering that if I get the 13" I can also get an unlocked iphone 4.
    My concerns about the 13": Will the screensize be enough or will I miss space sometimes ? Will the i5 make THAT big difference for me ?

4. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

I've heard others complain about choppy graphics with just the intel graphics. I can't say that I've noticed it on my i7 either... hmm.

5. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

No. id just get a 13" its got the Nvidia chip in 320M i used to use that chip all the time on my 15" 9400M MBP which im selling soon.

the Glitches could also be HDD related and a number of other reasons.

may improver with driver updates etc.

13" is a nice little notebook.

if your in the UK im selling a 15" MBP for bargain price tho

6. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I can say that nothing is choppy on my Intel, except huge flash sites(Engadget) but then my 330 kicks in and everything is smooth.

I noticed that I have no chop now as well with my Momentus XT.

7. vslo thread starter macrumors regular

Choppy is not the best description. As I said, Little glitches are better.. and I really doubt you dont get it once in a while with the intel HD. Not even when opening grid sometimes, for example ?

8. thecarrot macrumors regular

9. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

nope, I really don't.

10. Meever macrumors 6502a

Saw no choppiness on the intel either.... but from the sound of things a 13" would be a better choice for you. Longer battery life (even with 15" on intel only) portable, etc, etc. Honestly, if you don't need more screen space (which you really don't unless you are doing a lot of excel sheets or something) or the 330m a 13" is always a better bet.

11. karohan macrumors 6502

Even if you do not see the choppiness on intel graphics, the "choppiness" or "glitchiness" is definitely there. I have checked out various MBP's, including my own and the ones at various stores. If you have gfxcardstatus, try using Intel and Nvidia. Try expose with 4-5 windows flushed to one side, using the Applications stack, and other OS X animations. Whether or not you consider the intel to be choppy or glitchy, there's a difference in the smoothness between the intel and the nvidia. I think some people (myself included) consider this significant, while others do not.

That being said, anyone know the answer to the OPs question?

12. vslo thread starter macrumors regular

THATS EXACTLY what I meant. That difference when you change from the onboard to the dedicated is easy to see.