Battery life poor on 6.1.3

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by ben824, Apr 3, 2013.

1. ben824 macrumors regular

I updated my iPhone 5 to 6.1.3 when it was released and I have noticed My battery life has gone way down! I have been closing apps and doing all the battery life saving tricks but with no positive results. My boss has an iPhone 5 and he has been complaining about poor battery life as well since he updated to 6.1.3. Anyone else noticing this? Especially on the iPhone 5?

2. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

no but heres some advice: if your iphone was running good on the last firmware, dont update. thats what i do and am running 6.0.1 on ipod, witch lags, because of this. also my ipad is still on 5.1.1 and it runs good so i see no reason to update just my $0.02

3. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

my battery life is fine and didn't change with 6.1.3 - but there are plenty of other threads on this.

4. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

Haven't tried 6.1.3 due to my jailbreak but my friend updated to it last week and is now suddenly getting bad battery life when he has never had bad battery life in the past. Same goes for me with 6.1.2 battery life is terrible, don't think 6.1.3 will help it and it's not worth losing a jailbreak over.

5. macandmercedes macrumors member

Why upgrade when the earlier version worked like a charm?

6. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

If you updated via wifi I would suggest to backup and restore via iTunes.... sometimes this simple trick works very well... it worked on my previous 4s when i passed from 5 to 6

7. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

Not having battery life problems on 6.1.3 at all :rolleyes:

8. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

No problems here. I wonder what setup everyone that complains about battery problems have. Never had such issues fortunately :)

9. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

That's why I don't update for the sake of updating. 6.1.2 has excellent battery life for my phone, im not gonna goto 6.1.3 just for a Japan map update and block a jailbreak and whatever other tiny thing else it did.

10. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I've had no problems since upgrading.

Personally, I believe the vast majority of posts referring to poor battery performance after an OS upgrade is the result of people reading similar paranoid posts on forums such as this. Once the seed of suspicion has been sown it seems easy to jump on the metaphoric bandwagon!

In actual fact, it is unrealistic to try to compare the battery life from one 'phone or one day to another. For example, usage of the 'phone is so variable - some games; watching video etc can be "heavier" on a battery than listening to music.

11. tomoye, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013

tomoye macrumors member

sorry, but this is a real issue. I have a 4s and have done many of the suggested troubleshooting methods to help with battery life including deleting email accounts, hard reset, and restore.

this morning after iphone drained down and charged all night.... lost 15% in about an hour with 10 mins of use (wifi web). throughout the day compared my use to my wife's iphone 5 and my battery has been draining WAY faster than her phone and much more than it did before upgrading (since 6.1.2 for me).

I think I fooled myself a few times thinking it was just the way I have been using my phone... but it's NOT normal for a phone to drain so quickly with minimal use.

this isn't paranoia induced forum panic, but REAL frustrating users wanting their phones to hold charge the way they used to. good for you that your upgrade didn't effect you... hope it stays that way for you. some of us are having really annoying issues that make it really undesirable to own/use an iphone.

ps: I'm far from an apple fan, have never owned an iPod or Mac. first apple product was 3GS and then got 4s. hoping to get 5s next but this experience is making me bitter.

12. lazybump91 macrumors member

Yes, i am having poor battery life too, it drops even in standby mode. Regret of updating as 6.1.2 works perfectly for me. :mad:

13. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

im in the latter, great battery on .3 while on .2 it was murder. couldnt make it through the day on .2 and now i dont even need to charge it overnight! :eek:

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

And those two experiences back to back right there demonstrate how these kind of battery comparisons are unfortunately practically meaningless.

15. Dented macrumors 6502a

6.1.3 is fine for battery on my 4S, no problem at all. I don't believe there's anything wrong with it; that doesn't mean that other people aren't having problems, I just don't believe those problems are caused by 6.1.3 per se.

On pretty much every version of iOS, I've had the occasional bad day/few days battery life, times when I've noticed seemingly sudden drops and started obsession over the percentage.. this isn't just with the 4S either, but with my 3GS and 3G before that. To be honest I think I was happier back in the early days when iOS didn't give you a percentage reading for battery at all, just the gauge (you can still turn off the percentage now in the settings, try it, it might make you feel better).

The point is, these problems are universal to iOS and pretty much every other OS for that matter, there is no "good" version where everyone has great battery life, and no "bad" version that burns up everyone's battery in seconds either. Search for "battery life" and ANY iOS version number and you will find a ton of posts to say that version (whichever it is) has bad battery life and should be avoided, because somebody somewhere is always going to be having a hard time of it and blaming that new update.

If things are really bad, backup the phone and do a DFU restore, you'll be surprised at how much that can fix.

DON'T live in fear of new iOS versions, just accept the update and move on. The advice being peddled here to stick with what you know, if it ain't broke don't fix it etc, is nonsense - if it wasn't broken there wouldn't be an update. The purpose of these updates is to patch flaws, including battery-sucking problems and sometimes major security issues.

Much is made of 6.1.3 cutting off the jailbreak (boo hoo), less is said of the fact that the jailbreak exploited some gaping holes in iOS security in order to work. If Apple hadn't patched those holes, they would be completely negligent, and leaving the door wide open for others to barge through. The longer you sit there on comfy old 6.0.1 or whatever version you've decided to settle on forevermore, the greater the risk that someone else is going to exploit those same weaknesses to do something really nasty to your device and your data.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

To be fair, there have been (and not that rarely, unfortunately) updates, that in addition to the fixes/improvements/etc. that they advertised also brought some unintentional issues, which have been a bigger deal for some than any of those fixes/improvements/etc. that the update brought. Something to at least keep in mind.

17. tomoye macrumors member

I have always upgraded to new iOS without any fear of issues. something REAL is now wrong with my phone between 6.1.2 and 6.1.3 upgrades. it really sucks.

battery percentage was reliable prior to upgrades, now it's a crap shoot. I've seen my phone drop 10% in 5 mins after overnight full cycle charge, go up 15% after 1 minute of plug in, drop 5% in 10 minutes with no use, etc...

NEVER had any of these issues before upgrading. I've spent hours and hours removing apps, email accounts, restoring, reading forum posts, etc... I could care less about jailbreak and making my phone fully customizable.... I would just like it to work and be user friendly which is what I always thought the iphone was all about.

I'm really frustrated that I can't rely on my phone any longer to have some reasonable gauge of battery life and have to constantly charge it multiple times a day. very disappointed regardless of whether it's a hardware or software issue. as a consumer who paid for a product... makes me really nervous about my next iphone upgrade (I've only gone from 3GS -> 4S).

ps: I'm an electrical engineer who has written firmware, designed hardware, etc... so I think I have a pretty decent understanding of how things work. I want my iphone to be an easy to use and reliable device which it has always been until recently. very frustrating!

18. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

not really.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Really? One comment says 6.1.3 has horrible battery life and one says it has amazing battery life. What helpful conclusion...or really any conclusion at all...can be drawn from that?

Multiply that by a factor of about 100 or so and you have your typical battery life comparison thread for any update--and once again no meaningful conclusion that can be drawn as far as an update giving you horrible or amazing battery life (especially the reality being is that nothing in the update really affects battery life one way or another and it doesn't really get better or worse).

20. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

nah, not really.

21. dacoolest macrumors regular

I have been experiencing something similar with my iphone 4s. I did not upgrade my iPad's OS due to this problem.

22. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I wouldn't consider the battery life "poor" but my phone is draining to 0% almost every day.

IMG_0979.PNG

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

And thanks for trolling.

24. Zmijutin macrumors member

you have a really poor signal strength. I would say that's why you're having bad battery life!

25. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

It fluctuates between 1-4 bars at home. It doesn't really impact my battery life at one bar. Now, if I was "Searching" or had "No Service", then my battery life would be affected.