Battery life question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flipm725, Jul 26, 2010.

1. flipm725 macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 4 and I was wondering if a 5% drop in 10 mins for battery life is normal?
    I'm using it to browse the web with wifi on. 3G is on , Bluetooth off, brightness is 60% with auto brightness on. It wasn't like this when I had 4.0 on.

2. mkerns21 macrumors newbie

I haven't had any issues with my iPhone 4 battery until this past weekend, i downloaded the iPhone 4 Case Program app Friday afternoon and then by the time i got home my battery was down to twenty something percent, it's never down below 50% since i got the phone. I would charge it in the morning to 100 % and it would be fine all day but since downloading that app the battery has been draining within about 6 hours with very little usage. I charged it full to 100 % friday night, woke up the next morning and it was completely dead, has been doing this every night now. I charge this morning up to a little over 50 % and it died about an hour ago, just went to best buy and picked up an extra charger for work. I don't know if it has something to do with that app, maybe they put a service that is constantly running in the background to monitor and report reception or maybe its a coincedence but something is up with my battery now.

3. flipm725 thread starter macrumors regular

I noticed it when I downloaded the app on Friday and it's been acting funny since then.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I don't want to add to the conspiracy theories but I'm too been having some battery life issues since last Friday. Only new 2 apps installed lately was the Free case App and Handlylight. I tried Closing all the apps, hard reset, and reset network settings.

I am holding on a restore to see if i can find why is my iPhone acting funny, I did a test yesterday and left the iPhone on my desk for about 6 hours, no usage from my part. When i came back my battery was a 38% and the usage was reporting that I've been using the iPhone for 2 hours and 15min.. something seen to be running on the background without showing. During that period I received 3 emails (1 from a corporate exchange and 2 from gmail).

I am using my iPhone the same way i've always have used it, and before I could go without charging for 2 days and I would put it on the charge when it was about ~30% - 25%.

something doesn't seen to add up

Edit: note: I want to make clear that I do not believe the free case app is the cause, I just noted the recents apps installed. I deleted the app after I ordered my case and got my confirmation email.

5. Abbsta macrumors member

Same here. I can't say for sure what app is the culprit if any but the battery certainly doesn't last as long as it did before the upgrade to 4.0.1.

6. LoLife macrumors regular

I've been having the same problem with my phone but I haven't even downloaded the free case app yet. Still running on 4.0. When I first got i4 I could last 2 days without having to charge and still be on 10-20 percent. Now my battery is only lasting a day and a half and is dying a lot faster. Lasting about 12 hours less then when I first got it. :confused:

7. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

If you have already ordered your free case, you can delete the app from your iPhone. It is no longer needed. I would then restart the iPhone to see if this helps.

8. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

Do all of this.

Check all of the following:
    Bluetooth (You checked)
    Brightness (You checked)
    Location Services (Will drain battery significantly)
    Push (Turn off in Mail and other apps unless it's necessary)
    Background Apps (such as voip or something that uses audio and can run in the background)
    Apps that use a lot of your phones resources.

If all else fails, try restoring your phone.

9. flipm725 thread starter macrumors regular

I restored and it's back to normal.41 min usage and 3 hrs and 42 mins standby. Started charging at 96% and it's at 85% now.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

When you said restore, does that include also a backup restore, or you are running vanilla firmware and setup your phone on itunes as a new iphone?

11. bcackerman macrumors member

Check if you're running a lot of background apps. Also run the battery down to 20% and then charge, should be fine after that.

12. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

So by setting your phone to Fetch every 15 instead of Push, what that means is if somebody sends me a email it could take up to 15 minutes for it to show up on my phone (depending where in the 15 minute window the email arrived) as opposed to having a open channel funneling immediatly to my phone?

The same would go for calenders, contacts, etc.?

If that's the case, I don't run any business on my phone. Fetch would work out fine for me. Instant is what texting is for nowadays.

Do I understand this correctly?

13. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yep you got it...

14. sleyeu macrumors 6502

charge your phone and leave it overnight. How much did your battery go down?

mines went down around 20% in 12 hours.

60 hours of stand by battery... apple website said 300. Something is wrong.

It might be the 3G, can someone leave their phone in airplane mode and see if you lose as much battery? But the 3G shouldn't cause as you aren't sing it, right?

15. satirev macrumors 6502

try calibrating the battery. mine has been at 100 percent for the past thirty minutes.

16. mkerns21 macrumors newbie

I spoke to an apple store employee last night and the issue was that i haven't closed any of the applications i have ran, iPhone 4 has multitasking and i totally forgot about all this. You have to go to the multi tasking by double clicking your home button, then press and hold one of the icons so it will bring up the minus sign to give you the option of closing all the apps, i had a ton still open and constantly running in the background. Now i don't and I don't have the battery issue anymore.

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Well, even when I had done that already and I am still experiencing crappy battery life all of the suden, not all apps run in the background, just location, voip and music (at the moment), even when the quick switch task is full apps, this are just "recent opened" apps. Jobs had said many times that the user shouldn't worry about closing app, he literary said "you should trust your iphone to do that", that is why there is not "close all app" function in there.

But that is besides the point since I did that just to kill some of the variables.

18. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

Sorry to hear of everyone's troubles. I am on my second IP4, Apple replaced my original phone a week ago due to bluetooth issues which have seemingly been resolved since getting the new handset.

On my original phone battery life was incredible, I could go 3 days without charging. With the new one it is not nearly as good. I need to measure depletion rates but I don't think it is as bad as many of you are experiencing. Also, I don't see relating to an application install as I was experiencing the faster drainage before installing any new applications.

This new phone was a fresh restore, I didn't restore it from a backup of my previous IP4, just for the record.

19. flipm725 thread starter macrumors regular

Restored from backup. I have a bunch of important texts I'm keeping.

20. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Cool Man, thanks for the reply!...I will sure try that tonight them.

21. flipm725 thread starter macrumors regular

I think my Rocketfish car charger messed with my battery. Cause after I did the restore, I plugged it in my car and now it's doing it again.

Edit: I got that on Friday too.

22. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Hmm..Interesting, I got the Incase Car Charger, and it also happen that I used it for the first time on my iP4 last week. :eek:

23. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

5% every 10 mins sounds pretty bad. I browse the internet constantly and if I'm not doing that I am playing a game or on facebook. I rarely get below 5 hours of usage time before hitting 20%. The battery life on the iPhone 4 amazes me. I can forget to charge it at night and still use it all day and not have to worry about it. It's probably one of the biggest selling points of the phone because everyone is worried that their smartphone won't last a full day of use let alone 2!

24. flipm725 thread starter macrumors regular

I think the car chargers mess with the electrons somehow.

25. flipm725 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah mine used to be like that. I think I'm gonna restore again.