Battery Life - Sucks after upgrade?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by nwroberts, Oct 13, 2011.

1. nwroberts macrumors member

iPhone 4 - 32GB - Verizon

Is anyone else suffering from diminished battery life?

2. tooshaggy macrumors regular

tooshaggy

Yes. Big time. I had to turn off iCloud, almost all notifications, reminders, push and fetch mail every 30 minutes with 0 apps running just to get 5% degrade an hour.

3. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

Notifications will definitely affect battery life but mine is doing just fine, no complaints and I have a lot of notifications turned on.

4. jwingfie macrumors 6502a

jwingfie

Mine is doing great. For a few days in a row now I have gone to sleep with an average of 15% more battery than before the update.

5. TeamHotch macrumors member

TeamHotch

I thought my battery life had greatly improved. Went to bed on 100% and woke up on 100%. Push notifications all turned on. Being a social network addict i get alot. Location turned on but only for findmyiphone.

6. gloomcookie1 macrumors regular

Battery life pretty good here. iCloud, location reminder, streamed through stitcher and showed off the update all day today and left work with about 30% left.

7. tooshaggy, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

tooshaggy macrumors regular

tooshaggy

UPDATE: after fine tuning the settings, I have lost 7% battery in 2 1/2 hours. Not bad.
    Reminders off, reminder notification off.
    Push off. Find myiphone on.
    These notifications are on: weather, mail, Facebook, Tweetings, ap mobile, messages, calendar.
    Fetch mail ever 1/2 hour.
    Location services are with: maps, Facebook, camera, weather and Tweetings.
    iCloud OFF!
    I will slowly be turning stuff on, day by day and see how it goes. But for now thats what I'm running. Oh, and killing apps when I close them. None left running.

8. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Mine seems pretty much the same. maybe ever so slightly worse.

For the first time in my iphone using history, i didnt start fresh after install. I restored from a back up. I dont have time to fool around with all my settings and what not.

9. AnthroMatt macrumors regular

AnthroMatt

With all my settings the same as they were pre-update, I am seeing awful battery life.

It is almost 3pm, I am at about at 40% battery remaining. Typically I would be around 70% at this time of day.

10. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

probably need to calibrate the battery again?

11. zstern702 macrumors newbie

why even bother having ios5 on your phone if your just going to turn off all the features.. just my .2
    but defintly turn down your screen brightness to 1/3 and keep auto adjust on
    and dont push emails check every 30 mins
    also clearing out ur multitask tray helps also

12. epicshredder macrumors newbie

Battery life better?

I have black AT&T 32gb iPhone4, and my battery life and overall quickness have improved. I have been messing with both iPad2 and iPhone 4 in ios5 a lot since update about 24 hours ago and still have 47% left in iPhone.

Was about to try to warranty phone before update because it was loosing life and running slow, thought maybe defect.

Try messing with all your notification settings, several avenues per app.
    Then adjust all settings reviewed in other forums, ie brightness, etc.

13. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Only reason I have experienced any diminished battery life is from using it more than usual. Playing with new features.

14. TheNinjaJedi macrumors regular

TheNinjaJedi

Mine is a bit lower but I have been using it a lot more. I imagine gps running for notifications doesn't help.

15. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

my battery is draining a little faster than usual, but not significantly faster.

all in all, i'm impressed with iOS 5... though I was hoping for a little bit more from the notification department.

16. mingoglia macrumors 6502

That's what I've found over the years as well.... you don't realize how much you're checking out new features and then you're wondering why your battery life all of a sudden has diminished. Once the newness wears off your battery life should come back.

17. NeighborMike macrumors newbie

I havnt noticed anything at all.

My last charge was about 7:30pm when I updated my phone, I messed with it all night, have my location services on and im down to 43% just about 24 hours later

18. Jabjabs macrumors newbie

Yeah the battery life for me has been truly horrible.mim on a 3GS 16gb and while I could normally go about 40 hours before needing an additional charge it is now at 40% after just 5 hours. I have turned off every updating feature and all wifi/3G an d it is still plummeting.

Looks like I am one of the unlucky ones with this update. Will try do a total reset tonight and start over fresh to see if there is some legacy app/issue to is hammering it.

19. ezhilk macrumors member

Yes, I have noticed that too on my iPhone 4, though not a dramatic drop, there is still a noticeable dip even without using my phone a lot today.

20. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

My battery life seemed a little better actually considering I was using my phone more to check out the new features.

I noticed that reminders kept the Location Services on when I was testing the location reminder. So, I won't be using that since it will drain the battery until the reminder goes off.

21. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

It has definitely screwed with my battery life. It's probably because I have location services turned on Camera, Facebook, PostSecret, Weather, & Find my iPhone. Like someone said earlier, I'm not going to turn off all the features just to save 5%/hour. Sooo, I guess I can live with it. :p

22. FPP777 macrumors newbie

Here we are again, shutting things off on our phone so it works.

I ran my battery dead today without trying. Same use as any other day.

23. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

It improved immensely on my 3GS 32GB.

It used to die in one day without using it at all.

Today I used it practically the whole day and it lasted. I'm very impressed.

24. pourme macrumors regular

pourme

My 3gs battery life seems greatly improved after ios 5....:D

25. Malus Deus macrumors member

I haven't notice too much of a difference, seem to drain slightly faster then before. I do have iCloud turned off though. I usually have to recharge my phone once a day of every other day anyways.