battery life sucks on my new itouch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by girlie, Oct 4, 2010.

1. girlie macrumors newbie

the battery sucks on my new itouch, after 20 minutes half a fully charged battery is gone. should i take it in and get a new one? also theres no way to turn it off

2. eddy2099 macrumors member

Definitely send it for a replacement especially if you did not do anything extensive on it and that you did an initial charge of at least 4 hours and 2 hours on subsequent charges.

3. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Wait a minute, is after 20 minutes of doing nothing or just listening to music or 20 minutes playing a CPU-intensive game or surfing the net on a slow connection? If it's the latter, it's not necessarily abnormal.

4. vmelkon macrumors newbie

Battery life on ipod touch and iphones is pretty bad but not to that point.
    You should only need to recharge it once a day.

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

To turn it off, hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Slide to Power Off slider appears at the top of the screen. Then slide it.

I actually think the battery life on the new touch is pretty good. Certainly better than the 3rd gen iPod, and also better than the iPhone 4.

If your battery is draining to 50% after 20 minutes of little to no activity, you might have a lemon. Bring it in to the Apple Store.

6. Link2999 macrumors 6502

I'm on my 7th iPod Touch 4th Gen and I can say that the battery is better on this one than some of the others. I believe that not all the batteries are the same and some can and will be defective.

7. apaulct macrumors newbie

Calibrate the battery - apply a full discharge then recharge for at least 3-4 hours. This should be done once every 30 or so charge cycles anyway. Other times recharge frequently, don't let the battery fully discharge. If you are still having problems after the calibration cycle you most likely have a defective iPod and need to have Apple replace it.

I charged my IPT4 yesterday, let it sit overnight off charge, wifi on, read e-mail, surfed the web, watched about 5-10 min video this morning (total about 1.5 hrs use) and still have 85% charge. Fantastic battery life IMHO.

8. spw macrumors newbie

9. sracer, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010

sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I agree with all that is said here.

My 4G iPod Touch had fine battery life when it was running 3.x 4.0 iOS. battery life took a nosedive when I went to 4.1. (had to keep it in airplane mode just to maintain a semblance of battery life)

Now with 4.2 battery life appears to be better than it was with 3.x 4.0.

edit - fixed the original version number.

10. Brradley macrumors member

Well that's pretty impossible seeing as the iPod touch 4G didn't come out with 3.x.x

11. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

oops. You are correct. I meant 4.0. 4.1 killed battery life on my iPod Touch.

Thanks for the correction.

12. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

+1. My iPod touch showed incorrect battery percentage when I first got it.

13. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I got bad battery life too...especially after upgrading to 4.2 (I have ipod touch 4g and bought it in october)
    I listen to music for a max 1-1.5 hours in a day (usually spend my whole day in school), with the brightness at 30%, , web surfing for around 2 hours (max) and games for 0.5 hours...and still i got max of 12-13 hours life...i had to charge it everyday....

I read this thread yesterday and did what the above posters said and calibrated the battery of my ipod touch...and after charging it for 4 hours, i used it for about an hour (light web browsing...facebok...and 1 game) and the battery went down to almost 60-70%
    When I woke up just now, it was completely discharged. I closed all apps on it when i slept (wifi was on).
    Should i contact apple or wait for a few days? what do you guys suggest?

14. chain752 macrumors newbie

My battery life is much better than my old 2g touch.

15. geomak macrumors newbie

Interesting topic. Nice information, I am also suffering same problem and very headache about charge the itouch every couple of hours. Here very nice advice and information about that. I think it is better advice to give itouch for replace in apple store.