Battery life suggestions?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MJLogan, Dec 11, 2010.

1. MJLogan macrumors newbie

I had a first-gen iPhone (several, actually), jailbroken and unlocked, running on TMobile in the US, for years. No problems, perfectly acceptable battery life of 1-2 days per charge. I recently got a 3GS (old bootrom, BB 05.11.07). It worked fine when I first JBed and ULed it on 3-point-whatever, but somewhere along the line to 4.2.1, something has screwed up the battery life. I'm lucky to get 4-5 hours out of a charge if I use the thing at all, and it will drain totally flat if I fail to charge it overnight.

I've not installed anything from Cydia beyond ultrasn0w and SAM. I just did the SAM install this week. It installed successfully, but if anything it has made the battery problem worse. I'm a pretty basic user, but I'm clever enough to read and follow instructions, and will look for solutions on my own before asking for help in a forum. I'm stumped, though, so: any suggestions?

2. MJLogan thread starter macrumors newbie

So (days later):

I redid the SAM thing a couple of times, very carefully, and it never helped. So I started from scratch, made sure my phone was deactivated, removed SAM from my phone, and activated it with a valid ATT SIM. I changed back to my TMobile SIM and all was well--except the battery still drains every bit as quickly as before. I'm now NOT hacktivated, as far as I can tell. What else might be draining my battery so quickly?

3. david martin macrumors member

Turn off wifi. It was the only setting that improved my battery. If you discover a better fix post up because I'm in the same boat.