Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

westernmass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Western Mass.
I see a bunch of posts about battery life on the iPhone but I am wondering specifically what your phone shows. I am seeing how long I can get between charges and so I took the phone off the charger Saturday 01/13/08 morning and going to see when I am down to a point that I can't take seeing the battery level to low ;)

Under settings and usage there is some info. Mine right now says

Time Since Last Full Charge

Usage 2 Hours 36 Minutes
Standby 3 Hours 50 minutes

So I have a question or two. Does this mean I have used the phone (internet, phone calls, emial, music check or just had it on period) for 2 hours and 36 minutes?

And now can expect to still be able to use it for 3 hours 50 minutes more?

What is your phone showing?

I wish I could see something better then just the level indicator on the phone, I mean like I heard it says you are at 20% battery life I wish I could see when I am at all levels, 100%, 90% 75% etc.

Thoughts comments suggestions?

nickjaco

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
Usage 4 hours, 9 minutes
Standby 9 hours, 23 minutes

Current period 2 hours, 15 min.
Lifetime 2 hours, 15min.

Edge
Based on 3x30 minute use periods
Sent 2.0mb
Received 7.2mb

non jailbroken
with close to 2000 songs

westernmass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Western Mass.
Well, got the 10% battery sign tonight. So I took phone off fully charged Saturday morning 01/12/08 around 10am Now Tonight 01/13/08 had to recharge. It said before charging

Usage 3 hours 55minutes
Standby 9hours 46 minutes

I made one phone call that lasted about 10 minutes. 2 calls at under 5 minutes. I checked email manually during the day maybe once every 2 hours and surfed the net about a half hour or better straight then on and off a few more times at maybe 5 minutes each. Yesturday the wifi was on all day. I shut the phone OFF over night. Today I shut off and only turned on when I needed to. No music played at all. Brigthness up a little more then normal.

So is this typical?
Is this a problem?

I think it maybe an issue as I could go a weekend with the Treo and still have decent charge on Monday. But of course I did not use it half as much so scratch that last comment. BUt still I would think I could get better the 36 hours without a charge. Heck less then an hour of talk time that seems odd. What if I had used it to talk an hour I bet the battery low would have popped up yesturday.

What are these numbers anyway?

Usage 3 hours 55minutes - Is this how long I used it? that is what I assume
Standby 9hours 46 minutes - Is this how many hours of stand by or how many hours the phone was on standby?

Tomorrow I will try no wifi on at all unless needed. Any other battery saving tips?

huntnboy04

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2007
MI, USA
Usage is how long the the phone has been in use. Either having the screen on playing around, or playing music.

Standby is how long your iPhone has just been on, in sleep mode, since the last charge,.... I'm pretty sure.

westernmass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Western Mass.
Thanks Hunt found this after quick google search it was helpful to me maybe others.
http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

From the link:

Viewing Usage Statistics
Awareness of how you use your iPhone and knowing how long your battery typically lasts can help you improve your iPhone’s battery life. You can view your iPhone usage statistics by tapping the Settings application on the Home screen and choosing Usage. Under the “Time since last full charge” heading you’ll see two items:

Usage: Amount of time iPhone has been awake and in use since the last full charge. The phone is awake when you're on a call, using email, listening to music, browsing the Web, sending and receiving text messages, or when certain background tasks occur such as auto-checking email.
Standby: Amount of time iPhone has been powered on since its last full charge, including the time the phone has been asleep.

Apple321

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
My iPhone may have a few cosmetic defects (because obviously Apple can't assemble a stupid little thing that easily :( ), but I wouldn't trade it because it has great batterylife.

My best stats have been something like:

Usage: 8 Hours
Standby: 4 Days 12 Hours

Which is amazing. I don't make many calls so most of my usage consists of sms, listening to music, a few minutes watching a podcast, writing notes, using google maps. Wifi is always on also. I am very happy :)

mrobison

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
AR
I just got mine on Monday and took it off the charger yesterday morning.

Usage: 5 hours 41 minutes
Standby: 1 Day 7 hours

I'm fairly impressed with how much time I spent playing around and on the internet.

NiCk-

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Usage = 3 Hours, 38 Minutes
Standby = 3 Days, 23 Hours

... And still going :D Wi-fi = on, EDGE/Bluetooth = off, Auto-lock = 1 minute .. No internet usage except from some stock/weather checking through the widgets, and 20-30 minutes of listening to music ( podcasts specifically ) per day .. To say that "i'm happy" would be an understatement .. I'm delighted :D

dsgalit

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
I see a bunch of posts about battery life on the iPhone but I am wondering specifically what your phone shows. I am seeing how long I can get between charges and so I took the phone off the charger Saturday 01/13/08 morning and going to see when I am down to a point that I can't take seeing the battery level to low ;)

Under settings and usage there is some info. Mine right now says

Time Since Last Full Charge

Usage 2 Hours 36 Minutes
Standby 3 Hours 50 minutes

So I have a question or two. Does this mean I have used the phone (internet, phone calls, emial, music check or just had it on period) for 2 hours and 36 minutes?

And now can expect to still be able to use it for 3 hours 50 minutes more?

What is your phone showing?

I wish I could see something better then just the level indicator on the phone, I mean like I heard it says you are at 20% battery life I wish I could see when I am at all levels, 100%, 90% 75% etc.

Thoughts comments suggestions?
Ok my question to you is, is your phone jailbroken? if it is, then you can go to installer and install the app "Batteryinfo" in the "tools" catagory, it shows you exactly how much charge you have left in your battery in percent (%). Also gives "battery voltage, battery status(if its charging), your battery serial # and your external power. Pretty cool app!

westernmass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Western Mass.
Not jail broken at all. I still think the battery is not what it should be. I love the phone and may bring it in to the store and see what they think.

ewxlt

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
This is very anecdotal evidence, but my wife's 4G iPhone gets a full charge each night. She talks perhaps 20 min per day and check email 2 or 3 times and sends about 10 txt messages.

By the time she get's home at 6pm, she's at half battery. This is with wifi and bluetooth on.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

my battery has been getting worse lately. Right now I'm on 2hours 38 minutes usage and my battery is below half way. Bought it on uk launch day. Would I still be able to return it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.