Battery life test

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tbirdparis, Jun 1, 2015.

1. tbirdparis macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,

Wondering if any of you lucky and happy owners who have already received your rMBs might want to participate in some formal-ish testing to help out those of us still umming and ahhing about which model to get?

I've noticed a few people (like me) are wondering about the 1.3 model, not sure if it's a useful upgrade or just a tiny blip of improvement in speed that's completely imperceptible. However, I've read a lot of anecdotal reports from various sources (mostly users impressions) that the battery life of the 1.3 is noticeably better than the other models.

Does anyone have an idea of a standard battery life test interested people could run? It would be great if someone could propose a set of parameters for tasks to run, so then owners or 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 machines could then post how long they managed to run till shutdown.

In terms of real use, I know that for example in my case: I'd very rarely lower the screen brightness very much, would always have wifi on, would have a bunch of safari tabs open, be doing some work in pixelmator, constant emailing and listening to something. Then, there'd be some work pauses with YouTube or video watching in VLC.

No idea if this kind of usage would be easily formalised into a test pattern people could run.. But if anyone has an idea of a way to do a standard-ish test, go ahead and jump in!

Would be great to find out if there's anything to this rumour that some models might have better battery performance than others, or finally put the rumour to bed once and for all.

Anyone keen?

2. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

it's going to suck if you do all of that.

I open 3 tabs on safari, netflix running, brightness at half, mail running, itune in the background doing nothing. and I will be lucky to get close to 6 hours.

so expect to about 4 hours if you run all of those.

1.2gb version here.