Battery Life: The Definitive Thread!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bush438, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Bush438 macrumors member

Ok guys, I know this is your one in a dozen posts on Battery Life. But now that the 1.1.1 update has dwelled in for almost 2 weeks how about everyone posts what their current lifespan is before they have to plug in their iPhone. Also, please note if you have Wifi or Bluetooth on (as these drain the battery faster). I think I'm getting good usage but its definitely no where near what Apple claims.

Usage: 'almost' 2 full days before recharge.

About 8 hours of usage time total, Mostly texting and internet with a little bit of phone usage.

Wifi: OFF
    Bluetooth: OFF

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Yeah, well its rare a time when youll get what the manufacturer says. I get decent battery life, usually charge every other day with about 5 or 6 hours EDGE and hour or 2 music/video, and calls here and there. Wifi occasionaly, but mostly EDGE since im not home.

3. metelskiy macrumors newbie

wi fi and bluetooth off..
    about 4.5 hours of EDGE and phone usage.. nothing else... charging every night

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

wow im sorry but that is just sad.

so sad.
    i know it has the high draining stuff and all, but comeon, 5hours just isnt enough.

5. Bush438 thread starter macrumors member

I could understand if the bluetooth and wifi were on but I had both of these turned off during my usage.

The interesting thing though is this. I get a pop up message telling me when my battery level is at 20%. No lie about 45 minutes later with almost no usage at all it pops up and tells me Im now at 10% battery level left. After that it just lasted about 15 mins and shut off automatically. Kind of weird that it would drain that quickly from 20% - 0% with very little usage at all.

6. terrrrrible macrumors regular

I've been a bit concerned with my battery life. I'm only able to go 2 days on a full charge, with wifi and bluetooth turned off. Most of my usage comes from text messaging, then phone calls, very minimal web browsing and no iPod usage. I think my usage is around 4 hours when I get the 20% battery warning.

7. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

I'm very impressed with my iPhone's battery. I can be using it fairly consistently throughout the day, listening to music, surfing the web on EDGE and Wi-Fi, making phone calls, showing people Photos, watching videos.. etc.. and after a 13 hour day, I come home and the battery is only half drained.

8. metelskiy macrumors newbie

No Way... wow... that's a lot of usage and battery life left

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

wow yup. now thats good fairly good battery life!!!

10. srt4cane macrumors member

well right after the update i could have sworn that my battery life was worse..but it turned out that it was just the accuracy of the meter got better.I usually go about 2 days and a couple of hours standby with around 4 hours of usage (alot of safari/mail). Oh and wifi on and bluetooth off.

11. Bush438 thread starter macrumors member

I activated my Yahoo account yesterday on the iPhone while my battery was at 80%, all night it was on using the 'push' technology, I turned it on today to see that my battery was at less than 50%.

Is this reason for concern?

Also, I didnt get anywhere near close to 4 hours of usage when my phone told me 20% battery life left. If anything an hour.

Mind you Bluetooth and WIFI both OFF with less than 30 minutes of iPod use.

12. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Doesn't sound right to me as the push shouldn't be doing anything accept receiving a new email and not polling for mail. Being that push doesn't even work, I'd monitor that battery a bit to see how it is for a few days.

13. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I didn't charge my iPhone over the weekend, and it was still at 2/3 battery life (according the indicator). I didn't do a lot with it over the w/e so that was mostly standby, but WiFi was on the whole time.

14. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

I'm on my 3rd iPhone due to the battery. First they gave me a refurbished phone and the first day I had with full charge it lasted a couple days before I charged it again. I got about 7 hours of usage and 1 day 17 hours standby. That was with wifi on and using a little bit of everything. The second charge went down a great deal with only 2 hours of usage and 8 hours standby before it got to 20%. Took it back and instead of giving me a refurbished phone again they gave me a brand new one out of the box. I got it Saturday night and so I had to charge it again this morning with the same amount times of usage like the first one. I'm on the second charge now and it seems to hold it pretty well.

I recommend reseting the statistics after fully charged so u can see how ur sending and receiving and talk time to see if ur battery is bad or good. I will update in a couple days to see if this new one holds up.

15. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

surprisingly I still haven't had battery issues

16. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I plug my phone in every 3 or 4 days for a charge.

Typical usage:

30 minutes of phone calls a day
    1 to 2 hours WiFi Safari browsing a day (WiFi always on)
    30 minutes (about) weather/notes/calendar/maps/etc a day
    30 min iPod
    Mail checks once an hour

I get about 6-9 hours of usage before a recharge.

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes not everyone will have theses issues. i suppose that a lot of the people hu are havin issues will post. but people that arent wont be posting. much like the mbp tint problems.

18. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Don't forget to charge as often as possible to keep your battery in its ideal condition. Iphone batteries DON'T have a memory! Lithium Ion Batteries like to be charged very often, draining them down and recharing them stresses the battery much more compared to constant charging.

19. Bush438 thread starter macrumors member

WOW! I'm not even close to getting that much usage. I have basically the identical usage that you do and I cannot seem to make it past the 2nd day without it shutting off in the early afternoon.

I ordered mine online. If I take it to an Apple store and inquire what do you guys think they will do or tell me?

20. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

I bought my phone at at&t and I took it to the apple store and they replaced it. This is my 4th iphone and I think this one will finally be fine because it was already updated to 1.1.1 and the battery was fully charged. Apple support is by far the best and everyone at the genius bar rocks for taking care of me.

21. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I'm currently on 16 hours 7 minutes usage, and 1 day 5 hours standby, since last full charge. Battery indicator's at about 50%.

But I wouldn't like to mislead anyone. It's had two 30 minute charges in the car while commuting. I'm testing how long I get on my normal usage (8 hours+ iPod use, a couple short phone calls, some EDGE and WiFi access, 2x30 minute top ups - albeit not to full charge - every day).

22. levitynyc macrumors 65816

I called Apple and was told the opposite.

23. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

Brand New iPhone

First I would like to say that the genius bar at Apple Stores kick ass. They have been very cool and they have helped me out above and beyond than what i expected.

Insterad of giving me replacement phones they have giving me 2 brand new ones out of the box. The one I picked up yesterday is the most current from Apple becasue it was already updated to 1.1.1 and the battery was fully charged so I feel that this one should be bug and problem free.

He are the usage times when the 20% indicator popped up.

Usage 5 hours 15 minutes
    Stand By 19 hours 33 minutes.

The talk time was 1 hr 42 minutes
    Data Sent was 1.7 mb
    Data Received was 7.3 mb.

Wifi was turned on the whole time and bluetooth was off.

i think this is good but I wanted to get some feed back from everyone else. I hope this helps.
    I suggest that everyone resets the stats after each charge so it will make it easier to see how much internet/email and talk time they use per charge.