Battery Life When Closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AMERICUS, Apr 30, 2011.

1. AMERICUS macrumors newbie

Lately my battery life is horrible after I close the lid on the laptop (MBP 17). When I first got the computer back in 2009, it would go days without draining but a few percent. Last night I closed it at 12:30 and it was at 60% and when I woke up it was at 4%. Can anyone help me with some settings that may have changed? I use it for my ATV2 so when it is plugged into power it won't put the harddrives to sleep. This seems to be around the time that battery life has also diminished.

2. altecXP macrumors 65816

Are you sure it's really going to sleep? not just staying on?

3. AMERICUS thread starter macrumors newbie

In my energy saver menu on the battery tab the computer sleep is set at 11min and display sleep at 11min. All three checkboxes are checked. I wonder if I should just restore defaults and see what happens?

EDIT: The power adapter tab is set to never sleep and to put the display to sleep after 5mins. The 'Wake for network access' and dim display before sleep are checked below on that tab.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try a PMU reset. This will reset the power management settings.

It sounds like your machine is not sleeping for some reason.

All those settings you mention should not matter when closing the lid. You close the lid and it sleeps... simple as that.

When you close the lid, can you see the power LED pulsing slowly? That indicates it is sleeping.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Woops. You are correct. I am old. :eek:

7. AMERICUS thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a way I know that it took? Obviously I will try to leave the lid closed and see what happens with the power.

To answer the pulsing LED on the front, yes it does pulse when I close the lid. At least immediately, but I guess the question remains is something waking it up during it's sleep cycle?

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

you said wake up for network access is checked, I'd try that first. Is anything else connected to the mac?

9. AMERICUS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thought I would update, the SMC update worked wonders! I left it unplugged last night and it only dropped 2%. Thanks everyone!