Battery life when playing videos

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by alidstone, Jan 2, 2015.

1. alidstone macrumors newbie

Good day, I was curious what you guys thought on this. I recently got a 13" Macbook Air, and I was wondering what the most battery efficient video player is. I was looking to play .avi and .mkv files mostly. Thanks in advance

2. OneAnswer macrumors member

VLC Player will work well.

But you do not need to use the MacBook Air on battery all the time if a power outlet is available.

3. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

I would hazard that QuickPlayer is most optimized to play Videos on your computer. You can get an .mkv codec so you can watch those in QuickPlayer.

Uhm, ignore the above post. You can check out VLC player, which might be easier to use, but I'm referring to the "plug in" part. OP is asking for battery life, so why would they want to use a plug?

4. OneAnswer macrumors member

Because many people still think of batteries as something that have to be used all the time, even when it is not necessary due to sitting at your desktop, where power outlets might be near by.
    Though it probably was an assumption of mine due to reading some of those threads about battery life and the blatant ignorance concerning that.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use VLC Player when I'm unplugged and playing movies. OneAnswer is right: if you have AC power available, use it, especially when doing more power-demaning tasks, such as playing video.

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

6. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

He just wants to know how he can extend battery life watching videos.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Since the OP didn't specify, it's not inappropriate or harmful to recommend using AC power, if it's available. Based on the thousands of battery-related threads I've seen, a great number of MacBook users are under the mistaken impression that they can't simply plug in and run on AC power. There is no way to know if that may be the case with the OP, unless they explicitly say so. Either way, it's not inappropriate to mention it, for the benefit of others who read this thread.

8. OneAnswer macrumors member

And that guide surely does not help anyone interested in battery life.

We are not here to answer questions, we are to provide them.

9. alidstone thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Perfect, thanks for all the responses. I will try to keep it plugged in to expend battery longevity. I need the battery power as I frequently fly, mostly on older jets without 120v plugs.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I know what you mean. I just got back from a lengthy trip and several of the planes had the indication on the seat back that there were outlets between the seats, but there were none. With VLC Player, I can easily watch 2 or 3 movies on battery power on my rMBP.
    What guide are you talking about?
    Huh?