Battery life when using GPS in AW2

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by DocMultimedia, Sep 7, 2016.

1. DocMultimedia macrumors regular

I'm really curious about battery life when using the GPS. I have a really lightweight Garmin 220 and it gets about 8 hours of activity before the battery dies.

Also, does the GPS only get turned on during certain events, such as when you start a run on your watch, or start doing a hike with an app (as they showed during the keynote). They said 3rd parties will be able to use the GPS.

I'll be ordering one on Friday. :)

2. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

My guess/hope is that it'll be configurable in the app - On at all times, or only On when using certain apps, OR, perhaps even better, depending on whether or not you have your phone with you.

3. sta1210 macrumors member

It will be interesting what the battery life will be with real world use. I am hoping to use the AW2 to be a hybrid watch for my daily life as well as trail running where occasionally it is nice to leave my phone behind. Here is a link to the Apple statement on battery life for the AW2, I am hoping to stretch the GPS use to ~6hrs? Perhaps with bluetooth and wifi disable it may stretch beyond the stated 5 hrs?

http://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

4. DocMultimedia thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for pointing that out. When I looked yesterday that hadn't been put on there yet. Five hours is at least long enough to run a marathon.

As you said, would be nice if that could be stretched for long days of hiking. There is also the option to disable (or was it minimize how often it was recorded) the heart rate monitoring while working out. They say that had that turned on, so maybe the battery life would be noticeably extended when using that option.

In any event, I'm glad they say five hours. Enough for my running needs.

5. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

If Apple enhanced the battery and OS to get 8 hours Workout without GPS and 5 hours with GPS, that is an impressive improvement. I pushed my original 42mm to 4:45 workouts, and the battery was near done. I estimated it could get 5 to 5:30 hours. The Series 2 can get that with GPS.

6. tivoboy macrumors 68030

were those numbers announced? That would be pretty good indeed.

I use about 15% per hour when doing a workout, this would be about 25% better

7. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

See link above on Apple website.