Battery life with 10.2.2 and non-TB 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by badlydrawnboy, Dec 20, 2016.

1. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

I have a 13" TB and am still getting poor battery life (5-7 hours, depending on what I'm doing). I'm tired of messing around with Battery Health 2, Activity Monitor, etc..

I don't use the TB at all, and doubt I ever will. I'm a heavy user of keyboard shortcuts. I do find TouchID + 1Password to be really convenient and time-saving, but I don't think that's worth 2 hours of battery life.

Just curious what you non-TB 13" owners are seeing with battery life now with the 10.2.2 update?

Thanks.

2. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

Have you done everything to minimize battery draw?

What browser are you using
    Did you get rid of Siri
    Did you turn off Autobrightness
    Did you turn down keyboard backlighting or turn it off
    Did you turn off Notifications
    What is your screen brightness at
    Did you do the reset
    Did you try reinstalling Sierra

I did everything here with the exception of the reinstall of Sierra and I am getting about 8-9 hours. How Apple got up to 10 hours is mystery to most. But given what can be done to increase battery life I think it's worth trying if you haven't already. I'd say out of the list above the biggest draw is using a browser other than Safari. I also added Ghostery and that helped ALOT-to the point when I am on a whitelisted site i notice it.

Good luck and hang in there!

3. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

I've had it since mid-November and have done everything under the sun, including a reinstall of Sierra, and then more recently a clean install of 10.2.2. I have gotten rid of Siri, turned of auto-adjust of brightness, turned off keyboard backlighting, use screen brightness of 35-45% typically, turned off Power Nap.

But I'm not willing to change my usage beyond this just to maximize battery life. I had a 2013 MBA that got 12 hours on a charge with my typical usage when I bought it 3 years ago. I'm not expecting that here, but I do want at least 8 hours with the software that I use: Safari, Chrome (yes, I need it as certain sites I use for work aren't compatible with Safari), Polymail, Fantastical 2, Messages, Slack, Dropbox, Evernote, Office/iWork.

It's not like I'm rendering video or anything, these are just typical productivity apps.

4. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

5. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

6. Peptide macrumors member

my 13" nTB gets decent battery life - definitely more than 6 hours. I would say closer to 8.

7. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

My nTB also performs well, easily getting 8+ hours with my use (Safari, Acrobat, Pixelmator, Brackets, Airmail, Ulysses, iTunes).

8. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

Maybe you should swap it out? I know who wants to do that. But might give you some peace of mind if the second one is improved or the same.