Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfriedman8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I am loving the MacBook thus far, but I can't stand how Apple limits the resolution! I want to run this full time at 1920 x 1200 using SwitchResX.

Does anyone have real world battery life time running the screen at this resolution I would say at about 60-70% brightness.

Thanks!

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
I read something about SwitchResX earlier today and looked at it. I wasn't crazy to start with but then seeing your post, i've circled back around. After just installing (same reasons as you...I hate how big everything is), it says i'll get about 5 hours 49 minutes at 91% at that resolution. That's really on safari running though.

Did you do any tests? I don't want to murder battery life, but guess I could switch back and forth if needed.

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
It's actually not too small at all. Some things are small but I can make everything out...if I need some text in safari bigger, I just cmd and the + to zoom it once although I haven't had to do this yet. I actually like this a lot better than what Apple was letting you do. I only have the brightness up about 33%...raising it more makes things very easy to read.

UI lag isn't any worse...I expected it to be, but it's not. Battery life indicates to be as good as it was before doing this. I am currently (and have been working for a while) in 4-5 safari tabs, 30% (maybe 35%) brightness, Outlook 2016, VPN connection, and maybe some other things. I'm at 81% battery and it says 6 hours 56 minutes left...If anything, I think it may be better than what I was seeing last night - but then again I think I was still indexing and downloading photos in the background.

Reactions: blackberrycubed

blackberrycubed

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2013
Could you kindly post some screen shots of how the desktop looks running in 1080p mode? Want to get an idea of how small things look.

Appreciate it.

It's actually not too small at all. Some things are small but I can make everything out...if I need some text in safari bigger, I just cmd and the + to zoom it once although I haven't had to do this yet. I actually like this a lot better than what Apple was letting you do. I only have the brightness up about 33%...raising it more makes things very easy to read.

UI lag isn't any worse...I expected it to be, but it's not. Battery life indicates to be as good as it was before doing this. I am currently (and have been working for a while) in 4-5 safari tabs, 30% (maybe 35%) brightness, Outlook 2016, VPN connection, and maybe some other things. I'm at 81% battery and it says 6 hours 56 minutes left...If anything, I think it may be better than what I was seeing last night - but then again I think I was still indexing and downloading photos in the background.

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Could you kindly post some screen shots of how the desktop looks running in 1080p mode? Want to get an idea of how small things look.

Appreciate it.

See if this is what you're looking for...

Attachments

• 2015-11-23_17-54-47.jpg
    2015-11-23_17-54-47.jpg
    866.8 KB · Views: 162
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.