Battery life with 3G, Push, Location OFF...problems too?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotobadger, Jul 23, 2008.

1. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I know there have been many threads regarding battery life but I would like to know what other users are experiencing with all services turned off. Please note: This means no 3G, no Push, no Locations Services. Apple claims that battery life should be BETTER than 1 gen iPhone. I am getting only 5 hours, at most, with all services turned off. This 5 hours is from charger disconnect to complete shutdown. My V1 iPhone would go to 20% with 6 hours of very, very similar use. Obviously, a huge discrepancy. I've done the new firmware (ending in 7), I've done the multiple complete discharge and recharge.

Is this a defective battery? Is anyone getting 6 or 7 hours with video, talk, and web browsing (again, on WiFi or Edge only)?

Any input and comparisons would be greatly appreciated.

2. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

I've been listening to music non-stop on my 3G with 3G, Wi-Fi, Location Services, and Push disabled (with Fetch set to 15 min.). Granted, the screen is mostly off, but I've been receiving emails frequently today and have been listening to music for 4 hours and 45 minutes thus far (with just over 6 hours standby time) and am currently at 80%. *This* number is definitely comparable to my 2G. I will say that it took a while for my iPhone to attain this battery life.

3. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, for whatever reason (probably to cut costs), the iPhone 3G only has a 1150 mAh Li-poly battery pack, whereas the 1st gen iPhone has a 1400 mAh battery. And we all know that software power management works in theory but not in practice--the only way to get more battery life is to have a higher capacity battery--so I don't see any way that the 3G could have better battery life than the original (both using only a 2.5G network, with no Wi-Fi or GPS), but it is probably not too much worse either.

4. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

The problem is, Apple claims better battery life (and I'm not getting even close to it) as shown in this chart:

Attached Files: