Battery life with different watch faces

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by chrisfrombelly, May 5, 2015.

1. chrisfrombelly macrumors newbie

Heres an interesting question and I'm not sure if this has been brought up already but I have not seen this.

Has anyone else noticed different battery life depending on which watchface they pick?

I seem to be getting better battery life with the Solar watch face vs the modular. I wonder if that has to do with the data the modular watchface needs to call vs the solar watch face that just displays the suns place in the sky.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The less pixels used and the less animation will give the best battery life. So Simple with minimal detail and no Complications would be the best (other than Power Reserve).

[​IMG]

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Don't obsess over battery life so much that you dumb down the watch to the point where it becomes a Casio from the 80's. Use the complications, use the animations.

I use the Mickey face with complications just so I'm not bored staring at a second hand sweeping.

4. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Exactly, which is why Apple needs to ease up on the third party watch face restrictions, and offer some white faces for those who prefer them regardless of what they do to the battery life.

5. sincere11105 macrumors 6502

I agree with armen. I didn't get my watch yet but my wife has one. I love the Mickey interface. I'll bring the charger with me to work.

----------

I thought the same thing. Unless they want to ban them to avoid having a watch store with nothing but faces. I hope they ease up

6. flur macrumors 68000

To be fair, that's a darn good reason, at least until the store has a chance to fill up with actual apps.

7. BrianNH macrumors member

There can be significant impact to battery, particularly the faces which require frequent geography updates like the sun and solar faces. The weather complication I've noticed has an impact but not nearly as much as the others.

8. AppleWatchGuy macrumors member

Yes, there has been many reports of more battery usage with faces that have updatable complications (stock tickers, weather etc)