Battery life worse than iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chodite, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

All of this "battery is great!" talk.. but I'm just not seeing it. Normal daily use results in my battery being dead by 5pm. At least my 3GS lasted all day under the same use.

Anyone else? Between this and the proximity sensor causing me to drop calls, I'm becoming very frustrated with my new iPhone 4 :(

2. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Not at all. Better for me. Wifi and bluetooth on all day. Push email activated. End of a normal day for me on 3GS and I'd be on life support. Now, 50%

3. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

My reception sucks but my battery life is pretty great. Way better than my 3GS.

4. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

Might consider exchanging it. I've noticed significantly better battery life even over my 3g.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

I was about the same. Today seems to be getting more bang for the charge after I reset network settings. You might try that

6. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

The battery on my iPhone 4 is still wayyy better than my old 2G!

7. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

Mine has been super. If it doesn't improve you might want to have it replaced.

8. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Yikes. Sounds like I need to swap mine for a new one.

Got it at Best Buy, but would I go through Apple / Apple Store?

9. e-dard macrumors newbie

Agree with OP. I have used my phone for ~ 2h:10 minutes today (15 hours on standby), since the last full charge and it is on 27%.

Brightness < 50%, and not made more than 5 minutes of calls. All usage was mostly web-browsing/twiter/email.

Not impressed.

10. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

I'm floored by the battery life. Off a fresh charge w/ wifi on, a few minutes of browsing and a quick running of We Rule, I was still at 100%. Turned my phone off for the night, then this morning, turned it back on, and rocked 100% for about 6 more minutes of Facebook replying and a txt reply.

11. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

dead by 5pm? take it back you have a bad battery. Im getting a tad bit better then my 3gs.

12. coelacanth macrumors 6502

If you see worse than 3GS/3G battery life on i4, I think there is something wrong with your phone. Talk to Apple. This is definitely the best iPhone in battery life department. (I forgot how things was with the original iPhone, though)

13. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

That's the plan.

And yes, literally dead by 5pm. I'm at work right now with my IP4 plugged into my work PC's USB port, because it died just after 5pm today... after fully charging overnight and only casually using it throughout the day.

Calling Apple tonight to talk about next steps (replacement)

14. tuatha macrumors regular

do that, but be careful of putting too much stock in forum reports. Everybody's definition of 'heavy use' and 'normal use' differs. And when it comes to shiny new toys like this, everybody exaggerates a bit.

With genuine heavy use (particularly music, web browsing or anything that requires the screen to be on), you could easily kill the battery in 7 or 8 hours.

15. coelacanth macrumors 6502

That's a valid argument, but if OP is describing the situation accurately, he was getting a lot better battery life from 3GS under same usage. Sure it's a new phone so maybe he's touching it more than he did with 3GS, but there was no way my 3GS could match i4.

OP, one thing to try before putting yourself into replacement hustle. wipe out your phone and set it up as a NEW phone, not restoring with your old backup. From my experience, Apple Store Genius will ask you to do that anyway.

16. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

I'm finding my iP4's battery duration to be significantly better the my 3GS. I used to get home from work with 20-40% left. Now I have 50 to 60% even with heavy use.

17. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I hesitate to respond since when I respond to these kind of posts, my response gets buried.

My iPhone, purchased on Launch Day, had a dead battery out of the box. Like you, I could not get to the end of the day. In fact, powered off, it would go from 100& to 50-60%.

Apple exchanged my phone on Sunday and the battery life if MUCH better. Day 1 it was powered on at 4:45am and by 10:30pm, it was still at 67%. 3 hours talk time and much of it on the EDGE network!

So in short, your battery IS bad!

18. ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

if i could put a number on it, i would say my 4 is approx 10 - 20% battery on battery life over my old 3GS

Ant

19. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Mine is awesome now (the first few days it wasn't so hot), I unplugged it at 8am and its 5:40 pm and Im at 78%. Mine is about 40% better than my 3gs.

I only have bluetooth on in the car,
    I only have wifi on when im using it or in a place that has it
    I keep about 50% screen brightness
    I do average surfing and a few calls.

20. tuatha macrumors regular

Well it's 16.5% bigger so that's probably about right.

21. clovis112 macrumors regular

i get a day and a half on mine with heavy use.
    the last time i just used it for IMing and light calls, i got 3 days before it was fully drained. you should exchange yours.

22. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I got 7 hours out of mine today and my usage was and before i charged it was at 10 percent

1) WebSurfing
    2) Slacker Radio Plus for 2 Hours
    3) Watching some of the free content on hulu plus
    4) Playing games

23. UnseenLlama macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

Did you restore from a previous 3.x backup? I originally did and the battery life was horrible. Then did a clean install of iOS4 and everything is fine.

24. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

25. kevin738 macrumors newbie

I agree

I agree with this statement. I didn't see the best battery life and also had the proximity sensor issue. I restored the phone and set up as a new phone and have seen battery life greatly improve so far and seem to have gotten rid of the proximity sensor issue.

Not sure where I read it but someone had posted somewhere that they seemed to find that the sensor issue seemed to be happening more with those that restored from a backup. Not sure if there is anything to that but it seems to have helped me.