Battery Life

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mrcourt123, Mar 16, 2011.

1. mrcourt123 macrumors member

I have an iPhone 4 running iOS 4.2 and my battery life has been really terrible the last few days. Yesterday, for example, I barely used my phone at all during the day and when I checked it at around 6pm (after being off the charger since 7:30am) I was down to 33% battery life. I ran into the grocery store and came out 20 minutes later and it was down to 26%. I can usually have my phone off the charger all day long (12+ hours) and if I'm not using it for anything but the occasional email check and short phone call it will be above 80% at the end of the day. Any thoughts on the reason behind the dramatic difference? Is there anything I can do to remedy this? Are there any (free) apps that I can download to check what is eating battery life? Thanks in advance.

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

My guess is, that it is something accessing the internet. You just need to start eliminating the possibilities. To prove whether it is the internet or not, start by turning off cellular data.

3. sasman macrumors newbie

My battery life for the iphone4 is crap too (approx 1 day) and thats without using the phone much. For the same use I got 3 days out of my iphone 3!
    I took my "4" to the genius bar at a Mac center and they replaced the battery ( even though the test showed that it was ok ) but it still has a tarrible battery life ( even though Im not accessing the internet and I click away all the apps running in the background.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

iOS 4.3 has been available for about a week now.

5. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

check for any background app running, bluetooth of wi-fi... something must be keeping your iphone busy

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Do a fresh restore too.

If that doesn't help, it's probably the network around your area acting up and sucking power.

7. Badfoot macrumors 6502

My wife's iPhone 4 has the facility to locate it (can't remember the name of it) turned on. From my iPhone 3gs, when I use the 'Find My iPhone' app to locate her phone, it will tell me that it was last located a few minutes ago, then give an uptodate location. So her phone is always 'locating' itself. Maybe this is why her battery life, too, is not what mine is.

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

That wpuld be the GPS
    Find My iPhone will definitely make battery use go up.

9. Howdr macrumors regular

Howdr

To extend battery life
    ( yes I know these are cool features but)

Turn off all Gps functions except maps
    Turn off Blue tooth
    Turn off WiFi while not in use
    Turn off 3g
    Turn off Push
    Turn off notifications

Now what I do

I have mail pushed 1x an hour
    I have no notifications except alarms
    WiFi is always on for me but I have no programs that will access them unless I manually tell them to.
    3g on most times
    Blue tooth off most times
    GPS functions only for Maps and gas buddy

My battery life is ok not great but better then what you said:cool: