Battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yass-Attack, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Yass-Attack macrumors member

My macbook pro's (late 2009) battery is dying and the service battery sign came up. I was worried it wouldn't even get me through my 3h class but it did (with a little trouble and minimum brightness)...I ran coconut battery and this came up.

[​IMG]

Should I get it changed now? I need it to last me at least 3 hours on with a bit of heavy use, like word and some internet (class gets boring so i need Facebook).

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you suspect your battery readings are inaccurate, calibration should help. If they are accurate, the next question is do you have AppleCare? Your battery should retain up to 80% of its capacity for up to 1000 cycles. Yours is well below that. If you're still covered by AppleCare, take it to the Apple store for a replacement.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. Yass-Attack thread starter macrumors member

I am pretty sure it is accurate, my computer also just dropped 4% in 3 mins since I had a game open. I am not covered by applecare so I guess i'll be forking up $139+. Thanks for answering my Q so quickly.

4. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Have you been calibrating your battery regularly, like once a month? If not, your battery level and capacity readings can be way off. Anyhow, I'd calibrate it anyway, just to be sure.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The OP's model does not require regular calibration.

6. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Why not? Isn't it recommended to calibrate the MBP battery regularly, even for 2011 models?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the first paragraph in the CALIBRATION section of the Battery FAQ I posted.

8. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Thanks. Ironically, I was reading the Apple forums where a few threads mentioned that it's recommended to calibrate regularly but I completely forgot to check Apple's official guide. So I guess the only users that have to regularly calibrate are the ones who use their MBP plugged in most of the time; is that correct?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apparently, you didn't read the Battery FAQ, so I'll quote it here:
    If you click that link, you'll find:
    Owners of these portables can still calibrate if they suspect their readings are inaccurate, but regular calibration is not necessary with these models.

10. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Playing games aren't really... the most battery efficient things you can do on laptops. Still, when the battery health falls below 80 percent, I think it's time to get it swapped out.

Calibrate it if you want; I'd suggest getting it replaced though.

11. Yass-Attack thread starter macrumors member

I would deffs be in that group of people

Yah I totally agree with you, but that aside....the battery seems to die fast even when i'm just browsing sites like Facebook or even simply using Word and nothing else. And I think I will get it replaced, and asap too. How long is the battery covered for? Cause i don't want to deal with this again in a year or two when i'm still under 1000 cycles.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The first part of the Battery FAQ in the 2nd post describes warranty info.

13. urimils macrumors newbie

I think there's something missing from the FAQ. On apple's main battery page for notebooks it states that if the computer is usually connected to external power(rarely unplugged), that it should be discharged an re-charged at least once a month(not calibration, just a full discharge).
    Did not see it in the FAQ(though i admit i did not look all over it, just in specific places where it might seem relevant).

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check out the AC POWER section near the bottom of the FAQ.

15. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Do not perform a full discharge on lithium polymer batteries on a regular basis -- especially newer batteries.
    If you want to perform a maintenance discharge, run it down to 40% and you are good.

16. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I was at the Apple store the other day and was speaking with a Genius about the battery in my 2009 MacBook Pro. He told me that Apple only covers the battery under warantee if it is defective. My battery was reaching the 80% mark and that it was not covered under the warantee. But then he said he would replace the battery in my MacBook Pro free of charge as a courtesy. I do have AppleCare. Even with that being said Apple is good about taking care of their customers and wanting them to be happy. The Genius also told me that he had some leeway on the battery replacement.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's incorrect. It's no problem to fully discharge Apple batteries.... Apple even recommends it. Stopping at 40% isn't the same thing and isn't necessary.

18. urimils macrumors newbie

Wow. I should have an insane amount of pixi dust by now.

19. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Fully discharging a LiPo is not good for the wearing of the cells (Apple branded or not). If you go too far (too deep of a discharge during that 5 hour sleep period) cells in the pack may not accept a charge again. Stuff happens...
    Just saying, it should be done as a last resort.

20. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Fully discharging the battery should cause no problems. You may damage the battery only if you leave it in a discharged state for far too long (i.e. much longer than 5 hrs).