Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Heather56, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Heather56 macrumors newbie

I just got my Macbook the other day, but the battery life seems really short. It only lasts for like 3hours and the only programs I am running are Safari, Aim and Word.

Side note: Is there anyway to turn off the keyboard backlight completely.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Battery life is dependent on usage. Things like Flash and watching internet videos will decrease battery life drastically. There is likely nothing wrong with your Mac.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I wouldn't make such a blanket statement like that. My Macbook Pro gets about 2.5-3 hours of battery life if I push it, but it's also from 2006. I would like to think in the past 5 years, battery life would have improved somewhat.

OP: Can you download cocobattery and let us know what it says?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    Sure. Use the F5 key to turn the light all the way down.
    I would, because it's true. Read the section I mentioned above.

5. Heather56 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you mean coconut battery?

6. GGJstudios, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, coconutBattery. I prefer iStat Pro, as coconutBattery has some accuracy issues. Also, iStat Pro tracks much more than just battery info.

7. Heather56 thread starter macrumors newbie

On the iStart Pro what do I look at to see the battery performance?

8. Woojun912 macrumors member

Congratulations on your macbook pro, I just got mine today.
    What model did you get for yours? :)

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Go to system preferences, keyboard, and uncheck the automatic adjustment. Then turn it off by pressing the F5 key until the keyboard brightness goes to zero. It shouldn't come on again, unless you manually switch it back on.

Concerning the battery life, just keep coconut battery running and check how much battery power you are using on average. The 13'' MBP has a battery with a capacity of 63.5 Watt hours. This means, with an average use of
    10 W you get 6:20 hours battery life
    15 W you get ~4 hours battery life

With my 15'' MBP I can stay in the 10 W region with very light web browsing (no videos etc.), but usually I'm a bit above that (12-13 W on average).
    If you are not sure why your power usage is high while browsing, you can check Activity Monitor for processes that are CPU intensive - these are more or less directly responsible for the increased power usage.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you install iStat Pro, click the "i" in the upper left corner and the iStat Pro window will flip over. On the reverse side, click "Sections" and make sure all the sections are on that you wish to view, including battery. When you click "Done" it will flip over and you'll be able to see battery status information.

ScreenCap 1.PNG

11. Heather56 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I had it clicked off in the settings, just didn't know the F5 button was for the keyboard light, thanks!

10W with light web browsing and nothing else?
    Something called Kernel_task is appearing in the activity monitor all the time, what is that?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's Mac OS X.

13. Heather56 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the 15.4 inch Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 750GB @ 7200 rpm and 8GB of RAM.

14. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yes, that's what I said. What numbers do you get?

Also, you didn't tell us that you have the 15'' machine... it's possible that some program requests the dedicated graphics card, which will suck quite a bit more power. Google gfxcardstatus

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Or she can follow the recommendation I made in my first post to look at the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the Battery FAQ I posted, which discusses gfxCardStatus and provides a link.

16. Heather56 thread starter macrumors newbie

I got the gfxcardstatus, and the options are integrated, discrete, and dynamic, what should I set it on?

So this means it is safe to leave it charged in most of the time, when I'm using it at home? I just don't want to wreck the battery.

17. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Integrated means forced low-performance/better battery life
    discrete means faster-performance/worse battery
    dynamic means automatic switching

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's safe to operate with your battery plugged in and fully charged. Just be sure you don't run plugged in all the time, since your battery needs to be exercised to stay healthy.

19. tcandaman macrumors newbie