Battery life

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PPCmike, Feb 9, 2012.

1. PPCmike macrumors newbie

I have a question I have a 15" Powerbook G4 back in around 2003 or so 1.67 GHz I just wonder what battery life should I be seeing on a full charged battery? Right now I'm only seeing about 1 hr 30 min or so.

Soon I'm going to upgrade to a macbook pro but not any time soon so I figure I might as well upgrade the stock 80Gb hard drive to the largest I can find and the stock memory of 512 to 2GB.

Now regarding the hard drive how do I go about cloning the drive? Do I need to move everything over to a external drive?

2. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

It depends..on a new battery you maybe see 3-4h...on a used one it depends..1:30h seems fine..
    Use carbon copy cloner.

3. PPCmike thread starter macrumors newbie

The battery is a few years old not 100% sure how old but I'd say maybe 4 years.

4. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Look in system profiler at the power info. If your battery has more than 400 cycles on it then your current situation with battery life makes perfect sense.

A new battery is the only way to extend life but they are very expensive. Even the cheap ones are about 80+. Good official Apple batteries are about 110+ generally.

5. PPCmike thread starter macrumors newbie

it's only at 149

6. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

It could have some bad cells or something because at only 149 you should get 3.5+ hours. Try calibrating the battery and see if that helps. If not then I would say almost for certain that it has bad cells.

7. PPCmike thread starter macrumors newbie

I will have to try that later today to see if it helps any.

Thanks

8. PPCmike thread starter macrumors newbie

Do I have to wait until the sleep light stops flashing? I left it like that since this morning around 3 AM and I just plugged it back in now and it left off where it turned off in Sound track Pro.

it's showing it's going to take 1:17 to fully charge.

9. PPCmike thread starter macrumors newbie