Battery Life

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rabdel12, Mar 27, 2012.

1. rabdel12 macrumors member

I was wondering when Apple said 10 hours, what settings were used on those 10 hours? I have wifi on and full brightness surfing the web and battery life is a lot less than that. Can anyone confirm?

2. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

A normal SANE person doesn't use FULL brightness at all times. Apple doesn't even use full brightness in their presentations. They use a max of 70% brightness.

3. kjlake macrumors member

This is from the tech specs site:

Testing conducted by Apple in February 2012 using preproduction iPad units and software. Testing consisted of full battery discharge while performing each of the following tasks: video playback, audio playback, and Internet browsing using Wi-Fi or cellular data network. Video content was a repeated 2-hour 23-minute movie purchased from the iTunes Store. Audio content was a playlist of 358 unique songs, consisting of a combination of songs imported from CDs using iTunes (128-Kbps AAC encoding) and songs purchased from the iTunes Store (256-Kbps AAC encoding). Internet over Wi-Fi and cellular data network tests were conducted using dedicated web and mail servers, browsing snapshot versions of 20 popular web pages, and receiving mail once an hour. All settings were default except: Wi-Fi was associated with a network (except for Internet browsing over cellular data network); the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off. Battery life depends on device settings, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPad units; actual results may vary.

here is the link... http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

4. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

How can you possibly stand it at full brightness, it is almost painful to look at.

Now, I'm glad Apple gives us the ability to boost the screen to very bright levels, we should be able to do that if needed.

But to look at a max bright retina screen for hours on end -- and then complain you can't do it for more than 10 hours on one charge (which I don't even know if it is true)? Please . . . .

Screen is good. Screen brightness is great. Battery life is great, am going days without having to recharge, and this is with heavy use. Charging times are great. iPad 3 one of the best consumer-lite products Apple has ever released. Period.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I can confirm the you will not get 10 hours.

I can not confirm how you think your should get 10 hours.

Your screen backlighting uses a lot of the power and you are running it at 100%:eek:

Think about it :rolleyes:

6. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I get a good 12 hours at minimum brightness and just web surfing.

7. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

I took my iPad off the charge at about 6:30 PM on Saturday. I've been using it moderately with the brightness at about 35%, mostly for web browsing, taking the odd picture or short video, a few minutes here and there of gaming (mostly draw something and angry birds space), some light reading in iBooks, some email and a little music; as of right now my battery is at 41%, which isn't too bad in my personal opinion.

However during this charge cycle I did play infinity blade 2; about 10 minutes of play dropped me about 4% of battery power, but I guess that's to be expected with the game such as this.

All in all the battery life isn't too shabby at all when it comes to regular every day activities. On the other hand, if you're going to play a lot of games that are graphic intensive such as infinity blade 2, your battery power will drop rapidly.

8. Snesley Wipes macrumors regular

I've been using my iPad since 9 o'clock this morning on 30% brightness or less, playing video games and surfing. My battery meter says 67% left as of now...

9. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

I use the iPad at 100% brightness quite often as I use it outside on the patio when home or outside when traveling or going to my local coffee shop. Even under a shady tree on a sunny day, the full brightness helps.

10. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

mine sits at %70-%100 when its outside, i use the web most the day for work. i can get 10 hours of use easy. god knows how many days in standby

11. ewo1992 macrumors regular

ewo1992

Playing a game like air wings my battery drops fast but browsing the Internet with 50% and auto brightness on cellular and Bluetooth off I get around 10 hours give or take.

12. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Same here.

13. ewo1992 macrumors regular

ewo1992

That's the magic of minimum brightness!!

14. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Actually I run it higher than that, usually from 30-60%, at night miniumum, but day time is around there. And I get the hours posted.