Battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by hooldus, Jul 18, 2012.

1. hooldus macrumors member

I recently bought a used MacBook Air Late 2011 11,6” (11 months old). In the auction description was written, that the laptop was mainly used plugged in. But when I’ve checked Coconut Battery app stats, the notebook had 120 battery cycles already and the battery was at 92% from its maximum capacity. Could it be true what was written in the auction description? Do I have to worry about this battery life?

2. mikkker007 macrumors member

mate, it will outlast you and me both!...enjoy ur purchase.

3. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Considering it should last 1000 cycles I think 120 is alright.

4. scarred macrumors 6502a

I mostly use my Air plugged in as well, and I have about 120 cycles and 92%. That's 'funny' actually.

I wouldn't worry about it. I stopped worrying about my battery (for the most part, I follow the information on the battery FAQ GJStudios will post in this thread). Worst case? Spend a hundred bucks in two years to get a new battery. 100 bucks in two years for using this notebook the way I want without worry...

5. calvol macrumors 6502a

That's about right. My 2010 MBA is 18 months old, and I use it every day, mainly plugged in, and have 230 cycles on the battery at 92%.

6. astoxos macrumors regular

is it normal for a new mba with 1 cycle the health to be 96.2%??
    I got almost shocked when i saw it eartlier that day..:eek:

7. kermitxc macrumors newbie

yes

8. astoxos macrumors regular

Can you elaborate it please? Shouldnt it be at 100% ?

9. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Battery health goes up and down. Don't worry about it. My MBP had 86% at one point with 230 cycles, then 97% with 354 cycles and now with 541 cycles it has 91%. Its 30 months old now.
    Chill it down with battery health people.

Quite normal. Put a couple full cycles onto the battery (fully charge on one go, fully drain on one go). This calibrates the battery and the health should go to a 100.

10. astoxos macrumors regular

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's actually better that it wasn't plugged in all the time, as that can shorten battery life. It's fine that it has some cycles on it, and the health sounds good.
    It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.
    That is not the way to calibrate, and calibration does not improve or affect battery health. It only makes readings more accurate. Also, the built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries.

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug at any time, regardless of the charged percentage. Just make sure you don't run on AC power all the time, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

12. astoxos macrumors regular

Do you work for apple ggjstudios? Thank you a lot for the information.
    God bless you too.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, I work for me. I hope the information helps!

14. astoxos macrumors regular

15. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

I am at 19 cycles with 96%, it's all good dude... :cool:

16. forugaurav macrumors newbie

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Quote from the above link - "“Should I disconnect my laptop from the power grid when not in use?” many ask. Under normal circumstances this should not be necessary because once the lithium-ion battery is full the charger discontinues charge and only engages when the battery voltage drops. Most users do not remove the AC power and I like to believe that this practice is safe."