Battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mozzalicious, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Mozzalicious macrumors member

So, I got a refurbished MacBook Air a little bit ago and I like it overall, but the battery seems to die really fast. I had thought Macs were supposed to have very good battery life and I can't remember specific numbers for the air, but I thought it was pretty sizeable, but my battery lasts about four hours tops. Is this standard and is there any way to maximize battery life?

2. simsaladimbamba

Maybe take a read here, especially the section called "Battery life from a charge":

3. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

That sounds about right - the brightness of the screen has a big effect.

4. stchman macrumors 6502a

I would assume that Apple would have put a new battery in the MBA. You can check the # of battery cycles. IIRC, the MBA battery is good for ~1000 cycles.

5. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

People average different life reports because of different usage.

User 1: With news.yahoo.com opened, a text document, and Google Chat up will probably get 8+ hours of usage.

User 2: With youtube running, iTunes playing music, Skype video chat, and a game minimized will probably get a lot less, 3-4 depending on how intense the game is.

I can even get 12 hours showing with minimum brightness and a text pad opened :). lol. But my average use is 7 hours with RDP and light web usage.

Also, is it an Air 11 inch or 13 inch?

6. Mozzalicious thread starter macrumors member

@simsaladimbamba: thanks, reading that now

@TheRealDamager: Okay, maybe I should change my brightness then.

@Stchman: how would I go about checking that?

@BigMcGuire: that makes sense, its a thirteen inch. I usually just use internet and itunes

7. plucky duck macrumors 6502a

Advertised battery life is under ideal conditions, in reality it varies depending on what each user is using it for, whether it is very CPU/GPU intensive and certainly screen brightness is a big factor as well.

For simple web browsing, at 50% brightness I ususally get sligthly over 4hrs.

8. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

2010 13" MBAir here and I use mine while at work. I have even left my charger at home a couple times. Even if I start at ~98% battery charge once I first open it up at work, I can run iMessage, Mail and iTunes all day. Now on the couple days that I didn't have my charger, when I closed the Air to leave work it was at like 7-12% but it does in fact last me all day(8hrs).

9. stchman macrumors 6502a

There is a free application in the Mac App Store called Battery Health.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battery-health/id490192174?mt=12

10. Mozzalicious thread starter macrumors member

I'm getting four hours and eight hours xD I don't know what to believe, but seeing as mine is four hours I guess thats just my lot.

And thanks for the application, its got 18 cycles :)

11. jgc macrumors regular

I've been having huge battery issues with Mountain Lion, damn. I went from 6-7 on my normal use to around 3. I keep it on 25-35% ish brightness, light browsing, with music in the background and occasional TV shows in VLC. I really hope Apple does something about this since I don't appear to be the only one having battery issues.

12. lewdvig macrumors 65816

lewdvig

Mine is less than a week old and 96% after 7 cycles.

13. Mozzalicious thread starter macrumors member

Wow, Apple should do something about this. Mine's on 96% and it's like two weeks old o_O

14. Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

It's perfectly normal. I have a MacBook Air, and after listening to iTunes in just a few minutes, I already drained 7% of my battery life. Editing in FCP X takes 1 hour, Intense games 1 hour, surfing the web is 4 hours.

This MacBook Air is just 2 Months old. And it's perfectly normal in health.

15. Mozzalicious thread starter macrumors member

Dang o.o Well at least its normal; bad news is it sucks xD

16. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

I'm pretty sure Mountain Lion has something to do with this. Hopefully 10.8.1 will fix the battery issues.

17. NuggetSauce macrumors regular

One thing that is somewhat overlooked or underestimated is tweaking your screen brightness. The brightness affects battery life just as much as the tasks you do on it.

Whenever you are running on the battery, you should lower the brightness completely down, than raise it till you find the brightness acceptable, and leave it there.

And if you are using it outdoors and must have the brightness cranked, dont be surprised when the battery life is cut in half.

18. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

I keep telling myself, unless it's broken don't upgrade but I don't listen.

Battery & Network is affected. :( Patiently waiting for an update.

19. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

The battery health does not start at 100% and gradually drop - it will go up and down over time.

20. Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

I knew it. Apple wouldn't release a MacBook with such horrible battery life. It must be related to Mountain Lion. Notification Center, probably.

21. dirtymagician Suspended

I was getting around 2-3 hours of my MBA 11 2012 to start with and i wasnt very impressed, until i realised i had dropbox & wunderlist running in the background, so i closed them down when i didnt need them and reduced the brightness a little bit (checking the battery life estimate everytime to see what it said) now im getting around 6-7 hours which i consider very good.

22. kaks macrumors member

Same here

Mine is 2 weeks old actually with 6 cycles at 96%. Started at 97% from when i bought it.

23. KPOM macrumors G5

Is it an 11" or 13"? If it's an 11", then 4 hours sounds about right.

24. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

I'm going to try quitting dropbox when I don't need to update my files and see how my battery life is.