Battery life!?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Afbar1114, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

when will apple fix the battery life with ML??? i need this fixed before school starts so i can last a whole day with my computer and not just 4 hours. i called apple and they said its not ML but my computer and i should get it checked out.... i said it started when i downloaded and installed ML

2. psykick5 macrumors 6502

10.8.1 has battery life fixes. Chill out and wait it out like everyone else.

3. Meever macrumors 6502a

Im seeing 2.5 hour on 10.8.1 actually....

And why cant we rMBP users flip? It was working fine and now it's broken XD

4. jasonx2 macrumors member

This joke is funny

5. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i dont understand why i can get mad at battery life and 10.8.1 didnt have battery fixes and 10.7.4 was around the same. i brought to apple and my battery is at 99.6% life left.

6. M0esmac macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

Set your backlit on 10% (or just minimum), turn off what uses internet and doesn't stop like qTorrent when downloading files.

Then you will definitely get 5hours.

7. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I loose 30%+ over the weekend when the MBA is in my briefcase, shall I chill out and just accept this?

:rolleyes:

8. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well if your not using it all weekend i would just turn it off for the weekend until you need it

9. Glockron macrumors member

Agreed. Given the 10 second cold boot that's hardly an issue

10. MDFang macrumors member

Get gfxCard status to see if you aren't actually using dedicated graphics. That thing slurps battery once it's on. And "dynamic switching" has it turned on quite often, even if your applications aren't at all demanding. Some use a special framework or something (out of the loop here, sorry), for which OSX automatically enables the dedicated graphics, even though they don't actually need it.
    Forcing integrated graphics with gfxCard status tends to help battery life a lot.

11. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

Go back to Lion if you need the battery power. I don't think Apple has any new releases planned in the next couple of days.

12. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

So Apple puts in those conditions at the sales counter? That's news to me...

If previous OS versions had much longer battery life, but newer ones are draining it, then there are issues with the OS. Your suggestions are good as a workaround, but the core problems still remain and really should be addressed. Having worked with Windows for 20 years, Apple is starting to become the same sort of slopartist Microsoft was and still is... but this isn't a Windows forum, or a forum that discusses Microsoft's history with other companies and putting out subpar garbage...

Some of the social media garbage being casually thrust into these new OSes is part of the problem as they, as they remain active, require processing time and peripheral (network card/wifi/etc) time and thus drain the battery quicker. If there's a way to turn if off, which reminds me as I just installed 10.8.1 and need to turn on the firewall that is off by default...

MDFang's points are good workarounds as well but it'd be nice if Apple actually honed things down. I was ecstatic when SL came out, as it was faster and more efficient... they've removed needed functionality since (Rosetta) but added inane fluff (that social media thing, Twit or whatever it's called, being one example...)

13. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

People don't turn off their macs, we let them sleep as intended. turning off is not a solution, but a band aid.

14. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

But if your not using it for a weekend shutting it down is not a big deal I turn mine off at night and why is it not a solution? If your not using it it should not be a it deal. Every computer can sleep but if you want your battery to last longer turn it off if your not going to use it for a few days

15. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

I don't know what you talking about I have my MacBook pro for 3 years and I have never but it sleep I always turn it off when am done I guess that's why I never had battery problem , it also helps when you have a SSD :)

16. rikbrown macrumors regular

Jeez, I don't know why I continue to read these forums. Why does everyone try to apologise for Apple? APPLE AREN'T ALWAYS RIGHT. Why do default responses have to assume the current situation is what Apple intends?

Obviously it's not intentional that you have to turn off your computer over the weekend. You wouldn't've advocated this a while ago before battery issues started becoming apparent. The point of OS X/Apple is you can just close the lid - no problem, it's sorted. Ridiculous apologising-for-Apple. Just like the rMBP "it's not laggy at all" apologists. Guys, I get it, Apple is great - I don't disagree, I'm a big Apple user, but you don't need to pretend there are no issues.

17. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

Try turning off power nap if your battery is draining while sleeping.

18. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

It is off.