Battery life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hazawaza, Sep 2, 2012.

1. hazawaza macrumors newbie

My macbook pro 13" 2012 is 6 days old and is on 6 cycles because i have been charging the battery full every day and then discharging it daily. Is it better to do what i am doing right now or say charge to 100% then use until it is at say 45% and then charge back to about 80% etc. and then do a calibration once a month. which method will allow my battery to last longer for the next couple of years?

2. Psilocin macrumors member

3. simsaladimbamba

You could also just use your Mac the whole time on power adapter when available and use it on battery, when no external power is available.
    Calibration is not necessary, just remember to use the Mac on battery twice or thrice per month to keep the electrons floating.

No need to charge and discharge daily.

• BATTERY INFORMATION
    • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
    • AC POWER
    • CALIBRATION
    • BATTERY LIFESPAN
    • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
    • CHARGING
    • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
    • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
    • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search or MRoogle to find many millions of similar threads while you wait for more answers:
    [​IMG]

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Use it as necessary, you don't need to follow a pattern day for day - just avoid leaving it plugged in for a very long time and let it discharge once in a while.

5. Psilocin macrumors member

Well, I would certainly suggest doing at least 1 cycle per week rather than per month. Keep in mind that the battery is rated for 1000 cycles before it's capacity reaches 80% of original. So you could use a cycle every single day for the next 3 years and still have more than 5hrs of life left. As above, use as necessary and don't feel restricted.