Battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Yasack, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Yasack macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Need some help. I'm running a GPS to track my road cycling. Can you help with advice on what I can turn off so I can still have the GPS running. I don't need the phone to be running as a 'PHONE' while I'm riding.

Kind regards,

Richard

2. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

You can switch wifi and bluetooth off, and turn the screen brightness down.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot that you can also turn 3G off (but this could be a problem if you GPS tracking app needs to upload or download any data).

3. Yasack thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Satori,

Thanks for your quick reply. Could I also ask, does the quantity of apps installed on the phone also consume battery power? I shut all apps not required down, but didn't know even if I do that, does the amount of apps on the phone also drain the battery. I currently have around 50 apps, but only 5% of them are used so I could delete a load off if you think that would help.

Kind regards,

Richard

4. sohaloh macrumors regular

Apps only drain power if you have push notifications enabled for them. That includes everything, banners, alerts, sounds and badges. Disable everything for the app that you rarely use then having it on the phone wont affect your battery life. As for GPS, I use nike+ running and I leave everything on. For a one hour run it drains around 10-15% with music on etc. Don't worry so much about battery life that you need to turn off things just to go for a run. Enjoy the run with music and your apps tracking your path. Good luck.

5. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Leave 3G on (your cycling app will need it - mine does!) Disable WiFi, and Bluetooth.

Turn off "Push" notifications for email, as they do use power.

Double-tap the "Home" button and kill everything except for your Cycling app.

Works for me!